Discourse as a comments engine - linking imported blog posts to existing discourse topics?

(Thomas Wilson) #1

I’m in the process of porting over my old site to a combination of ghost (for news) and discourse (for our forums). I’d like to use discourse as the comments engine for ghost (similar to the current set up), but want to understand exactly how the embedded javascript works.

If I have my news topics already imported to discourse (complete with comments), how can I ensure my ghost blog picks up the correct topic from discourse (we run a separate import script for ghost)? Is there a specific field I need to keep synchronised between the two systems?

I assume there’s a field (probably the blog post’s URL?) I can set in the discourse site’s database to indicate if a given post is a companion topic? I’d like to avoid thousands of duplicate topics if possible :).

Thanks!

Import all entries from RSS in feed poll for embedded blog
(Jeff Atwood) #2

This is covered on @eviltrout’s blog, should that blog entry be updated

http://eviltrout.com/2014/01/22/embedding-discourse.html

(Thomas Wilson) #3

Thanks - I understand how to embed comments, but what I’m looking for is how to retrospectively link new blog posts to old discourse topics.

I will have an RSS feed, so I’m not worried about new posts - it’s only the old ones which need to be explicitly linked to existing discourse threads that I’m worried about.

I’ve stumbled across the topic_embed table in postgresql, which looks like a good place to start.