Discourse Chain Topics Plugin

AI-generated summary

The Discourse Chain Topics Plugin allows users to link topics in a chain by adding “Next Topic” and “Previous Topic” links to the topic title. The plugin was created by ghassan to simplify navigating through a series of topics, such as documentation or story forums.

denvergeeks expressed enthusiasm for the plugin but encountered a 500 error when trying to save edits. Despite ghassan attempting to reproduce the issue, the problem persists. denvergeeks tried troubleshooting by removing other plugins and updating to the latest version, but the issue remains.

denvergeeks requested an update to the plugin, highlighting its potential usefulness, especially with the refactored Discourse Docs. nathank suggested that this feature could be achieved through a theme component, but manual linking at the top or bottom of a post is also possible.

The plugin is available on GitHub for installation and further development.

I have just released a discourse plugin for chaining topics

When I was going over Developing Discourse Plugins - Part 1 - Create a basic plugin the guide is splitted into 7 parts.

I thought why not creating a plugin for this use case; where you have topics in a chain.

By using this plugin you could add “Next Topic” and “Previous Topic” links on the topic title.

See screenshot below for example how it would look:

For more details and install: GitHub - zaatdev/discourse-chain-topics: This a discourse plugin which adds a feature where it would be possible to chain topics. A topic can have other topic to be it's next or previous topic. · GitHub

Special thanks to @angus for How to add custom fields to models the guide/example enormously simplized the way I wrote the plugin.

18 Likes

Absolutely LOVE this – a very important feature for Story forums as well as Documentation forums!

I’m getting a 500 error when I click the Save Edit button. The field in the composer doesn’t seem to keep what I enter into it…

Paginate Pagination Prev Next Previous Next In Sequence Sequential Forward Back (adding some key words here to make this Topic easier to find for folks!)

Here’s a method I’m using …

Hey @denvergeeks, yes the plugins probably need some refactoring. I haven’t given it much attention recently, I will try devote sometime soon.

2 Likes

That would be awesome :slight_smile:

I am trying to reproduce, but couldn’t for the same exact error you report.

  • What is your version of discourse (I tried from the master branch)
  • Do you have spesfic plugins, settings that are not typical
  • Did you get that error always, no matter the type of topics…etc
1 Like

Hello @ghassan – I still get the same 500 error when saving the Topic post!

  • What is your version of discourse (I tried from the master branch)

I’m all up to date!

  • Do you have specific plugins, settings that are not typical

I tried removing all other plugins but the same…

  • Did you get that error always, no matter the type of topics…etc

Yes always – all types of Topics result in the same 500 error!

This plugin would be so useful, I really do hope you can fix it!!!

1 Like

Any chance for updating this plugin, @ghassan ?

This feature for users to organize Docs pages into sequences would be really nifty with the newly refactored Discourse Docs!

3 Likes

This could probably be done as a theme component, eh?

But then again, it isn’t very difficult to manually put a link at either the top or the bottom of the post.

3 Likes