Discourse core chat function

(Ryan) #1

Is there any plans for one? I know there isn’t really a “friends” system in place so there’s not point without one but if there was, would a chat function be added?

(Michael Downey) #2

Does the private messaging system already in place do what you want?

(Ryan) #3

The private messaging system (for me at least) is good for leaving offline messages, I know they are pretty much the same thing.

I’ve got this vision in my head of using the chat function to quickly message a friend instead of dropping him a PM, if you’ve used Facebook chat before it’s kind of different to sending a private message (instead of clicking on “+ Reply” and sending it that way).

I’m probably just seeing it the wrong way and need to use the functions more.

(Michael Downey) #4

Yeah, I see where you’re going there. The message notification is pretty instant, and if you’re on the screen it basically appears once posted. But it’s not quite as seamless as a chat user interface, though.

(Sam Saffron) #5

It’s our number 1 wished for plugin request in the plugin wish list topic.

I am pretty confident someone will build a chat plugin at some point, it is not on the core teams roadmap though

(Ryan) #6

Ok, thanks for clearing that up :slight_smile:

A chat function would be an excellent addition.

(Amy) #8

Another vote for a chat function where all users can chat in a group and/or individually ala facebook/hangouts. :sunglasses:

(Michael Downey) #9

How is that actually different than any given Discourse topic or Personal Message? (Other than the UI being not as “compact”.)

(Amy) #10

It is different in a few ways. Text in a general chat window does not have to be “about” a specific topic or labeled in any way. Like real discourse it can be random and simply expressive (eg. “Avoid the 405. Took me a day to get to office. God hates LA” The idea of having a chat window separate from the topics and categories also gives an impression of immediacy; a general conversation that “floats above” the other more specific conversational threads.

Likewise, private chats in separate ‘float above’ windows give a user the simultaneous ability to have private conversations within (group) conversations, much like the dynamic of a real group discussion.

(Michael Downey) #11

I’m not sure I fully understand that last part about “float above” windows, but it sounds like an interesting idea.

I am also trying to understand the need/rationale to maintain two separate systems for chat & discussions. I know @HAWK has been thinking about how this works within the Discourse team, and maybe they will have more to share in the future.

But I wonder, couldn’t one just set up a globally-pinned “random chat” topic that would function as an ongoing “stream of thought” chat for items that don’t really fit anywhere else? It’d have the added bonus of relocating that chat to an existing topic if the chat got more serious & worth preserving long-term.

(DiscourseMetrics.com) #12

I’ve recently implemented iflychat.com’s chat solution, which floats above the site, similar to Facebook messenger. It works well, and alleviates the extra server load caused by running a Discourse-based chat.

You need a custom job running every X hours to generate tokens that allow that user access to the chat, since tokens only last for 24 hours at a time. Send me a PM if you need the job code :slight_smile:

How it looks:

(Amy) #13

I think the notion of a separate chat box/window apart from the beaten threads creates the impression (almost physically) of a side conversation and the ability to multi task general and specific topic conversations. (We used the chat plugin Babble until it stopped working with the latest update of Discourse.)

And exactly as you suggest, if a general chat subject got interesting I would start a new topic thread about that subject to keep the discussion going apart from new people jumping in saying ‘whats up!’. Some ideas start small.

(Amy) #14

Ill check it out. Thanks.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #15

We’ve received some questions about this from prospective Discourse users who don’t yet have accounts on Meta. Would you mind sharing your code in a #howto:tips-and-tricks article?

(DiscourseMetrics.com) #16

I’ve had some performance/network issues with my way of generating tokens in a job. Iflychat support instead recommend generating tokens when the user loads the page. I haven’t rewritten the code yet but when I do I’ll post a howto-guide :slight_smile:

It works again, the issue has been fixed :wink:

(Amy) #18

Thanks. We just re-installed it. We are fans. :slight_smile:

So am I :wink:
I just miss the option to embed it in existing outlet instead of floating box

(Stephen Chung) #20

The emoji picker screws up when you use it together with retort

Even if you don’t use retort, it still seems to conflict when the reply window is open and the reply emoji picker is open.

There are some serious issues with babble's usage of the emoji picker. Is anybody else also seeing problems with babble's emoji picker?