Discourse does not start after fresh installation

(Semaphorism) #1

I have a VPS setup (Ubuntu 14.04 with Docker pre-installed),

Docker version 1.6.2

The installation of Discourse was perfectly fine, and went without issue.However the ./launcher start app does not output anything, sits there, and nothing happens. I can’t connect to it, or anything.

I followed the instructions from digitalocean, specifically this one How To Install Discourse via Docker on Ubuntu 14.04 | DigitalOcean

I don’t have an SMTP server, if thats the issue, well I can’t exactly get one. Though I could possibly set one up on my VPS if that is possible.

If any other information is needed, I will provide it.

The first question is where you are getting your VPS hosted?

The second is what output comes from the command:

docker info

Mail is pretty much mandatory for a production setup. You can get your admin acct going, but nobody else will be able to register without you manually setting it up.

(Semaphorism) #3

I am with OVH (http://ovh.com)

Docker version 1.6.2, build 7c8fca2
root@vps51059:/var/discourse# docker info
Containers: 2
Storage Driver: vfs
Execution Driver: native-0.2
Kernel Version: 2.6.32-042stab111.12
Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
CPUs: 4
Total Memory: 8 GiB
Name: vps51059.vps.ovh.ca
ID: FRT2:PK4U:Y625:OP23:IE3R:JQAK:SASC:WTN3:7SIU:4MHR:PZAR:OFXY

It’s the storage driver which comes with the preloaded ubuntu + docker.

Reinstall your vps with ubuntu 14.04 without docker preloaded, and manually install it with:

wget -qO- https://get.docker.com/ | sh

Also:

Kernel Version: 2.6.32-042stab111.12

Will not work. I have plans with OVH, even their lowest rung will get you 3.13 with the standard ubuntu install.

(Semaphorism) #5

I am unsure how to upgrade the kernel, I’ve searched around, and I am lost on getting the correct one, plus upgrading.

You’re stuck with the kernel of the host when dealing with VPS. OVH upgraded their line recently, they should have got rid of all the 2.6 in the process.

I have a SSD3 from OVH and it shows 3.13. I started off SSD1 with 3.13 & discourse installed no problem.

What plan exactly do you have?

Start off by reinstalling without docker, and see what kernel version shows up. What displays inside the VPS may NOT be what is the reality of the host.

(Semaphorism) #7

I have VPS classic 8GB, which is probably not a good idea is it?

That’s the old line, they don’t even sell them anymore. It’s openVZ, which is what you do NOT want. VPS SSD is the new low end. You should call OVH and see if they would be willing to transfer your acct to a VPS SSD.

(Semaphorism) #9

Do you know if these would work? CPU instances? Pricing isn’t my concern at the time.
https://www.ovh.com/ca/en/cloud/instances/cpu.xml

Edit: Nevermind, I just upgraded another VPS I had (Which is SSD cloud one) I will reply back once I get that all setup, and tested.

That will certainly work out. I installed the older line SSD cloud to discourse without issue.

:+1:

(also, why would someone pay for CPU line that offers “vcore” ??,

at those prices the only thing that makes sense is a dedi)

(Semaphorism) #11

Well I am planning to setup a forum along side a game server sometimes, so it’s debatable if I should go for a bit bigger of a server. For now, since the SSD 3 is only $17/month, that’ll host the forum and I’ll decide later if I really need a bigger server.