Discourse Emails end up in the "Promotions" tab in GMail

(aftakitani) #1

I have tested on my Discourse install, works great. Gmail ( mine at least) is not very friendly to the Discourse sent emails, it miscategorize them, putting all on “promotions”.

I’ve noticed that the emails are scheduled on sidekiq, so it’s nice to adjust email_time_window_mins on settings, since it has a default value of 10 minutes.

New: Reply via Email Support!
(Sam Saffron) #2

This makes no sense to me, are you saying that when you reply to a topic in category “foo” it is recategorized as category “bar” ?

(Andrew Hunn) #3

No, he’s saying Gmail is tagging them as promotional mail.Probably in the new categorized inbox that Gmail rolled out awhile ago.

(Brian Tol) #4

FWIW, I had the same behavior: Discourse emails are showing up in the “Promotions” tab in the new tabbed inbox. I’d expect them to show up in the “forums” tab. It is trivial for the user to drag them to the correct tab, FWIW.

(Luke S) #5

And once you do that, Gmail asks if you want to put all future messages from in the forums tab.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

We added a few email headers at the specific request of Google that should automatically put Discourse emails in the “Forums” category / tab in GMail.

Specifically the List-Id header as described here. We also added the In-Reply-To and References and List-Unsubscribe email headers.

If you expand the little drop-down chevron on the email in GMail you should see mailing list info:

reply-to:	 Safareli <reply+eeae422b1@discourse.org>
to:	         jatwood@example.com
date:	         Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM
subject:	 [Discourse Meta] Add meta tags, og tags etc to allow embedding discourse articles in other sites (e.g. via embedly)
mailing list:	 discourse.forum.discourse-meta.meta.discourse.org  (Filter messages from this mailing list)
mailed-by:	 discourse.org
signed-by:	 discourse.org

Viewing headers for the email shows

In-Reply-To: <topic/1036@meta.discourse.org>
References: <topic/1036@meta.discourse.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://meta.discourse.org/user_preferences>
List-Id: "Discourse Meta" <discourse.forum.discourse-meta.meta.discourse.org>

There’s also Auto-Submitted: auto-generated but I can’t remember if we are setting that.

Anyway, long story short, Discourse emails really should be showing up on the forums category in default GMail:

Personally I have the categories disabled in GMail…

1. Click the settings (gear) icon on the top right corner
  2. Choose “Configure Inbox”
  3. Uncheck all options in the list
  4. Save

… because I prefer a simple flat inbox list.