Discourse Events

We’ve noticed a regression after the recent update.

Previously, it was possible to create recurring events on the fourth weekday of a month (for example, the fourth Thursday or the fourth Wednesday).

Now, the only available monthly option is “Last Thursday” (or the respective last weekday).

Unfortunately, these are not equivalent. In months with five Thursdays or five Wednesdays, the last weekday is the fifth one, not the fourth.

This is a real issue for our community, as many of our recurring meetings are scheduled on the fourth Thursday or fourth Wednesday of each month. We can no longer configure these correctly.

Is this an intentional change, or is it a regression?

1 Like

We’ve noticed another issue after the recent Events update.

Our community uses category calendars for local groups. Each group category contains both recurring events and regular discussion topics (questions, announcements, photos, follow-ups, etc.).

Since the update, categories with Events enabled seem to only offer “New Event” as the primary action. As a result, it is no longer obvious how to create a regular topic in these categories.

For our use case, this is a significant usability issue. We intentionally keep discussions and events together in the same category, as they belong to the same local group.

Was this change intentional? It would be very helpful if categories with Events enabled could still offer “New Topic” as the primary action, while allowing users to create an event when needed.

It is really very unfortunate. We run a forum for self-help groups, and it already takes a lot of energy for people to attend a meeting.

Since today is the fourth Sunday, a meeting was supposed to take place in Hamburg. Only two people showed up.

The date has simply been moved to the fifth Sunday.

I would appreciate a reply on when this can be fixed.

We work with people with disabilities, and this is really very inconvenient for us.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to report these issues.

I am investigating this one, at first glance it looks like a recent regression but I will share more details soon.

One thing to note here is that only users who are able to create events will see this Create Event button in place of the New Topic button. Regular users still see the create topic button as usual for the category.

I will have a chat internally with the team and check if it is an intentional change that the new topic button is replaced for users with event creation permissions.

3 Likes

Yes, it was intentional, see this commit

In categories with the “events” type (using the upcoming change “Enable
events category type setup”), users who can create events now see a “New
Event” button with a calendar icon instead of the default “New Topic”.

It would have been nice if this was behind a setting.

5 Likes

At our place, all users can do it, and it’s confusing. So we’ll have to change the permissions. At least it’s good to know.

1 Like

Since the last update.

Hi everyone :waving_hand:

Just a quick note — it’s a shame that the user who creates an event isn’t automatically registered! Some of my users forget to join their own event :rofl: . But now that I think about it, I find it a shame that they aren’t automatically registered, since the person who creates an event is usually present, right?

3 Likes

I don’t believe this to universally be the case. On my forum, an administrator posts the events coming up on the calendar but does not participate or attend

2 Likes

Yes, I agree, but in most cases, the organizer also takes a seat at their own table. After that, we might consider adding a parameter to smooth out this behavior: either the creator’s registration is automatic, or it’s optional.

Please note that this feedback is based on my on-the-ground experience. If I’m the only one in this situation, I’ll fully understand if there’s no point in developing this option! :wink:

1 Like

I think a tick that is automatically checked and can be disabled at the time of event creation could cover both scenarios.

It’s just an idea, the team could evaluate it eventually better.

1 Like

This is an issue for our organization as well. We have recurring events on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays, but there isn’t a way to create these as recurring events any longer. This is a pretty big manual change we’ll have to make, unfortunately

2 Likes

This should have been fixed by FIX: only treat a fifth weekday as last in monthly recurrences - Pull Request #42852 - discourse/discourse - GitHub

@davidb will be back next week, he can investigate then if there is still an issue.

2 Likes

Hello,

The addition of numerous features convinced me to use it… thanks!

I’ve run into a bug in this scenario:

Take an event that lasts, for example, 2 days.

The event disappears from the top of the topic list (sorted by event start date) too early.
It vanishes right at the start of the event’s first day.

Shouldn’t it disappear only when the event ends?

And shouldn’t its status simply change to “in progress” next to the topic title?

Thanks.

2 Likes

It may also be worth checking whether this PR has any effect on the Sort topics by event start date option in the per-category settings:

The PR wasn’t written specifically for category sorting, but it does change how updated event dates are propagated to existing topic models, and publishes a latest-topic update when a recurring event advances to its next occurrence.

If anyone using Sort topics by event start date has seen topics fail to update/re-sort correctly as event dates change, it would be useful to know whether that still reproduces against the PR head.

1 Like

First of all, thanks for this great plugin.

I have a couple of questions:

  • I noticed that the date and time normally visible close to the topic title disappears in the Categories view. Is this customisable somehow? I need to have it always visible even if aesthetically is not the most pleasant thing
  • I have some events which are “instantaneous”. Even if I set a start and an end with the same exact time, somehow the event are showing a minimum delta of 1 hour between start and stop, forcing on me an event “duration” which is not needed. Can this behaviour be disabled somehow?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi

I have the Calendar plugin enabled.

Within that I have the Discourse Post Event enabled yet I cannot see the Create Event option when creating a Topic.

Any help is appreciated

You also need to enable it in the category settings. If you want to see the calendar to easily create and display events.

Otherwise, to add an event, you need to create a topic and click the + in the toolbar to create an event.

Thanks for the reply. Where do I set this at Category level?

Go to your category, then click the wrench icon for settings

And add events

1 Like