Discourse fails to rebuild after changed SMTP password because of Postgres

(Kovah) #1

Hello,
due to changed SMTP credentials I had to alter the app.yml and rebuild the Discourse instance of InvoicePlane. Sadly, the rebuild failed multiple times and I’m not able to run the instance anymore.

The error thrown at me is the following:

Pups::ExecError: su postgres -c 'psql discourse -c "alter schema public owner to discourse;"' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 75 exit 2>
Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:108:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params "su postgres -c 'psql $db_name -c \"alter schema public owner to $db_user;\"'"

A longer part of the last output can be found in this pastebin: I, [2016-08-08T20:30:41.716904 #15] INFO -- : > HOME=/var/lib/postgresql USER=p - Pastebin.com
It seems that Postgres is killing the instance.

Version is Discourse 1.6.0, branch is stable.

$ git status
On branch stable
nothing to commit, working tree clean

I hope you can help me fast, a large community is waiting for the forums to get back online. :frowning:

(Dean Taylor) #2

There may be an upgrade process for the database which might still be running (it takes a long time as a one time event)…

You might just need to wait for it to complete and then rebuild…

… this thread may be relevant here:

(Kovah) #3

The problem is that I can’t wait for anything as the container instantly stops after this error. It starts for the rebuild, does some database tasks and then this error pops up so I guess there’s something wrong with the update process? :confused:

(DjCyry) #4

Hi , yesterday and today i have edited and rebuild my app.yml / restart my vps 8 or 10 times and the changes are not saved .