Discourse for Private Messaging

(Jason) #1

Hello,

I see that Discourse allows private messaging between members. On my site, members currently can have profiles but we don’t have a way for them to message each other. Would we be able to use Discourse’s private messaging feature to let users contact each other? Or does the private messaging need to occur within the forum?

Thanks!

(cpradio) #2

I’m not sure what you are asking here. The private messaging features works within Discourse’s forum platform and it makes it so users can communicate privately with other members. It can’t be extracted and put in your site by itself.

(Jason) #3

Sorry for being a bit confusing. Yea that’s sort of what I was wondering. Specifically on my site, stageagent.com:

I’d want to have a separate forum/q&a section where members can interract with each other. But currently, members already have profiles (Find Performers for Hire | StageAgent) but we didn’t build any way for members to message each other. I’m wondering if there’s a way to let members message each other from their existing profiles as well?

(cpradio) #4

You can setup SSO so you have one account across both the Q&A and the current site, but all messaging would still happen via the Q&A/Discourse instance you setup. There are APIs so you could retrieve that data, but if you do that, you are sort of showing your hand that you have the ability (as an Admin) to access those “private” messages.

(Jason) #5

Oh I see. So the private messaging is only meant to be between Admin & User and not User to User?

(cpradio) #6

No, it is User and User, or User and Mods, or Admin and User. The variations are all inclusive.

(eriko) #7

I think that there is a trust level component were you have to have a high enough one to send user to user messages.

It is like flags where you have to have certain level to get the comprehensive flagging interface.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Sending personal/private messages requires trust level 1, yes.

Note that TL0 users can respond to any PMs they get just fine. They can’t send any new ones though.