Discourse + HipChat

(Antonin Hildebrand) #1

We started using Discourse as a GetSatisfaction replacement. We are geeks, so we like Discourse features more. It has been working pretty well for us so far:

We also use HipChat room for our team communication, so we wanted some Discourse events reported to our HipChat room. Here is my patch rolling on top of Discourse:

It is not particularly nice, just a hack (I’m not a rails dev). Anyway just wanted to let you know that something like this exists. Feel free to use/modify it.

(Daniel Friesen) #2

Awesome idea. I tried using GetSatisfaction before but so much of it annoyed me. And I could never find a good usable alternative.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

Cool! You could also deploy a bot for HipChat like Hubot so you could make posts straight from your chat and such.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

p.s. @darwin I didn’t realise before, but the very same day you shared this, @sam announced the Brand new plugin interface, which has kept improving since then.

Any chance your integration code could be wrapped up as a plugin instead of a fork? :heart:

(Antonin Hildebrand) #5

Hi, this fork approach has been working pretty well for me.

I can imagine, I could manage settings via Discourse preferences (using plugin interface for that). But I don’t know if current plugin system can give me hooks I need for reporting the events. At this point I’m not going to invest more time into this.

(Kane York) #6

Actually, with ruby, you can do damn near well anything if you have control of the program. It’s just a question of knowing how to do it.

(Antonin Hildebrand) #7

Today I have revisited this HipChat integration and implemented is as a plugin:

Depends on:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/3473

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #8

Nice! FYI, for forums with the Akismet plugin, there’s also this: