Discourse infinite scroll has bad UX

(David) #1

I can see the authors were trying to solve the problem of

[1] [2] [3]…[1001]

at the bottom of each topic page. But this infinite scroll solution, and its implementation, comes with hairy complexities:

• It breaks the in-browser search.
  • It is harmful for seo: It’s not consistent with what search engines see. I search for a word in google, google shows me a word in bold, I click on the link, and the in-browser search is unable to locate the word I originally searched for. Perhaps because I’m now on another page. This means traffic loss. Why should I trade less traffic for a fancy feature?
  • It is inconsistent with browser back/forward button. Sometimes clicking on a link in a topic page, and then going back does not end up where the infinite scroll was supposed to be.

To me, this is a poor UX.

(Alexander) #2

Some prior discussion on this:

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Yes, this has been discussed already, a lot. But briefly:

1. True, we are thinking of capturing ctrl+f, but Discourse search works fine on topics now courtesy of @sam. Click the search icon in the upper right.

2. Works fine for SEO. Turn off JavaScript in your browser and see for yourself. Or do some test Google searches on content here.

3. The URL is always updated to reflect where you are, watch it change in real time as you scroll. The back/forward buttons are never broken. If you can describe a case where they are, please open a bug on it here with repro steps.

(Jeff Atwood) #4