Discourse installation seems to have goofed

(Serfma) #1

It all started when I noticed that upgrading failed on docker_manager and discourse itself, but would magically be updated the next time I checked. The updating would pause at “purging temp files” and I would leave it for an hour or two, but when I come back it would say failed at “killed” or just at “purging temp files” and then it would be magically updated. I’ve assumed it has actually updated successfully even with the weird behavior.

Today while upgrading to 1.7 it has done the same thing. This time I decided to look through the settings and found, which I assume are new setting categories, this:

Which indicates the updates haven’t actually applied correctly. I wanted to see if the new setting “desktop category page” would work as it’s a new feature in 1.7, however, it does not.

I decided to boot up the command line to the server (Digital Ocean) and remove any plugins, just in case. However, after following discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub for the installation, I noticed /var/discourse did not exist and it now resides in /var/www/discourse. This could be Digital Ocean moving it around, or how the Discourse installation ends up, but I’m not sure. Anyways, inside /var/www/discourse I attempted to use ./launcher which does not exist. What’s happened?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #2

Just checking, how much memory do you have for your droplet, and do you have any swap set up?

(Serfma) #3

It’s a 1GB droplet. No swap set up since it’s 1GB. Should I probably upgrade to 2?

(Jeff Atwood) #4

You need 2gb of swap for any web upgrades to work at all.

(Serfma) #5

Ooh ok. So I’d need to stop launcher, git pull, then rebuild for any updates?

(Jeff Atwood) #6

You should add the 2gb swap file first, then yes. Upgrade from command line.

(Alan Tan) #7

/var/discourse is the path for discourse_docker where you can run the launcher commands from.

/var/www/discourse is the path for the discourse folder inside the docker container which runs the web server, db, redis etc…

Hope that clear things up :slight_smile:

(Serfma) #8

Got it, thanks!

Hah, funny thing about /var/discourse.

E: Right after posting this and restarting the droplet, /var/discourse exists. Something that I’m overlooking?

(Felix Freiberger) #9

That screenshot was taken from inside the container. (I known because you hostname ends in -app ;-))

You probably ran ./launcher enter app before, which spawned a shell inside a container. exit would also have gotten you out of there :slight_smile:

(Serfma) #10

Oh wow. I didn’t even notice that, and I had a feeling it was something like that. Hah. Thanks!