Discourse is down after `launcher rebuild app`

Hi all,

I was trying to upgrade Discourse from 2.0 to 2.0.1 on my website, and it showed something like this:

But after running ./launcher rebuild app, the website is not available anymore. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Yinglu

Did you get any errors while ./launcher rebuild app

Your database may have upgraded, consider running ./launcher rebuild app once again

I remembered during the rebuilding, Postgres was upgraded from 9.5 to 10, and I got an error mentioned in this post, which is

WARNING: Upgrading PostgresSQL would require an addtional 19M of disk space

So I have run docker system prune to get some free space and rerun ./launcher rebuild app, then it succeeded.

I have tried running ./launcher rebuild app several times but no luck. Anyway I will run it again to see if it helps.

1 Like

I’d say you should’ve tried running ./launcher cleanup as against docker system prune first.
in case that is not helping, try pulling the latest commit from server and then rebuild:

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

in case you encounter any errors, make sure to post them below.

I have tried

./launcher cleanup
docker system prune
cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

No luck. I doubt the upgrade of Postgres has destroyed the database, and I have seen

postgres@postgres ERROR: database "discourse" already exists

In the build log. Any ideas?

The system should have backup of Postgres 9.5 stored somewhere on your filesystem.

Please refer this topic!

2 Likes

Asked for a professional OP engineer’s help and it turned out that there were something wrong with my nginx and CDN config, and the problems were possibly triggered by Discourse upgrade. I don’t know the details but after his operation, everything worked as expected.

Thanks @itsbhanusharma for helping!

4 Likes