Discourse meetup in Toronto

(Logan Rosen) #1

Continuing the discussion from Discourse Meetup in NYC:

At Mozilla Community IT, we set up an instance of Discourse that we’re dogfooding, along with a number of other Mozilla teams. Our eventual goal is to replace all other communication methods within Mozilla with Discourse, and a number of us would love to meet up in Toronto in the near future to see what other people have done.

Could I get a general headcount of people who would be interested in this so that we can figure out if it’s feasible to schedule a meetup? We’d love for @eviltrout to join us, but anyone in the general area would obviously be welcome to come and spread ideas/knowledge about Discourse. :smile:

In terms of logistics, we could probably use the MozSpace in Toronto if there’s enough interest in a meetup.

Discourse meetup near MacTech Boot Camp?
Local Meetup Events Plugin
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Well I know two people in Toronto, @eviltrout and @neil. But why would you want losers like that at your meetup? :disappointed:

(Majken Connor) #3

We can definitely use the Toronto Mozilla space. It can accommodate quite a lot of people, or if only a handful want to get together it can accommodate that as well. The space is free to use, too.

Also, Logan’s post may have made it sound like we want the event to be Mozilla centric. That’s not the case at all. That’s just why we’re interested in Discourse meet-ups. The event should be Discourse centric and anyone else in would be welcome to help plan the event and the schedule.

(Robin Ward) #4

I would definitely come and even do a little talk if there’s enough interest.

(Neil Lalonde) #5

I would totes be there too!

(Tanner Filip) #6

I’m not super far from Toronto, I’d definitely go if able.

(Nick Schonning) #7

I’d be interested depending on the date it’s held.

(Majken Connor) #8

Do you have an easy answer to the question “when works for you?” eg, “A Thursday” or “June”? :wink:

So far we’ve only decided we’d like to have one, so suggestions on timing are totally welcome and encouraged. Also format and topics. Depending on how many Discourse users are already in Toronto it might be useful to gear part of the event towards people investigating Discourse. Or if there are a lot of power users, then a more developer/hack centric event would make sense (we’re also good at doing both!)

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #9

This is pretty far off, but I’ll be in town for that MacTech BootCamp - That Tuesday the 16th would be great (any mac-geeks would be welcome to join the event that Wednesday… I have $50 off coupons too.

(Robin Ward) #10

It’s not a sure thing yet, but there’s a good chance we’ll have the entire Discourse team in Toronto in September for our yearly meeting.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #11

Any chance of a meet up in Toronto in ~2.5 weeks?

(Robin Ward) #12

Actually that is the confirmed week of our visit in Toronto, so the entire team is around. I’ll see what we can do.

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #13

I would also be interested.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #14

Awesome - the people who attend a MacTech BootCamp are also the kind of people who influence what their clients use. It would be great to promote at meeting the night before or after the event. (the 16 or 17th)

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #15

Can you please clarify when this will take place and time? Or are things still up in the air?

(Robin Ward) #16

We haven’t finalized it yet, will be in stone very soon.

(Robin Ward) #17

I’ve secured the date and time:

I hope you all can make it!

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #18

I will be there, am quite excited about what discourse has done for us, and what it has the potential to do around the world!

(Jeff Atwood) #19