Discourse on Portable Drive: is that possible?

performance

(mountain) #1

I have an inkling this is a ‘no’ but I’m new to Ruby on Rails so I figured it’s worth a shot.

I’m used to sandboxing my web dev stuff on an external drive, specially this Toshiba model here. I currently have a AMPP stack installed on one which I plan to reformat and use for this, if possible.

I did read the guides on developing with Ruby/Rails on Windows, which sounds like I’d have to get a separate, full SSD just to start. Can I use a portable VirtualBox with the aforementioned Toshiba? Is it theoretically possible or not at all?

If it matters at all, my PC’s specs are: Windows 8.1, 10GB memory, 3.50 GHz six-core processor, 2TB SATA with 16 GB SSD for caching.

(cpradio) #2

If you are running it in VirtualBox, yes, you can install it on a portable drive. I do this at work. :smile:

(Sam Saffron) #3

You don’t need a separate full SSD, just install virtual box or vmware and have the image live on your fastest drive.

(mountain) #4

Part of the first step here says to use a SSD. if I read it incorrectly, m’bad. Didn’t want to get ahead of myself (as usual, heh).

But thank you for the info! Let me set this up and start digging in all the things. :allthethings:

(Sam Saffron) #5

SSD is far faster and strongly recommended for any dev work, but HD will work ok albeit your dev discourse will be running at half to quarter speed.

(cpradio) #6

That’s for Production use. Development use you can get away without an SSD. I actually have mine on a flash drive at work. It isn’t the fast thing in the world, but it runs fine for the testing I do.

(mountain) #7

Ahh, makes sense. Okay, glad to understand that now. Just really happy and on cloud nine I don’t have to run Ruby in Windows with all the not-so-successful stories behind it.

(Jens Maier) #8

Depends on how productive you expect to be…

Just replace “compiling” with “restarting the dev rails server”… :wink:

(Kane York) #9

Don’t forget refreshing the page in development mode, which includes each JS file separately and every request goes through the Thin servers.

(Jens Maier) #10

True, of course, but filesystem read caches do exist even for non-SSD block devices. :smile: At least on my crummy server, the asset pipeline is a narrower bottleneck than the harddisk…

(cpradio) #11

I just haven’t had a need to have my VM on an SSD (yet). But, I also have an 8 core machine, so I can dedicate 2 cores to the VM when I’m running it and 4 GB of memory. So that may help it a bit…