Discourse Package

(Muhammad Tassawarr) #1

This is my first topic on official forum. I need some basic info about discourse .
Package available at github is free from all issues/errors?
Is that the sandbox version?
What is the basic price of discourse application?
is the github version have all the plugins and integrations valued into core files

Looking forward for more efficient replies.
thanks

(Lutz Biermann) #2

No complex software is free from errors. On Github there are different branches. Many forums use “tests-passed”, which is the latest version, which is also used on meta. There is also a stable version, which I recommend for system-critical installations.

[quote=“tassawarr, post:1, topic:58359”]
Is that the sandbox version?[/quote]
The official GitGub version is based entirely on Docker. Everything is integrated into the docker image. So yes, sandbox version.

[quote=“tassawarr, post:1, topic:58359”]
What is the basic price of discourse application?[/quote]
Discourse is completely free, provided you hosted it yourself. If you are looking for a ready-made solution, the official hosting of the developers is recommended. The software is also being financed through this development. There is a fullservice offer: https://payments.discourse.org/buy/

If you are hosted yourself, you simply look for the plugins and enter them into the configuration. For third-party hosting it depends on the offer. Please note, Discourse has an incredible number of features even without plugins.

You will find most of the info on the main discourse website. You can download it from github and many different versions from latest to stable releasespecially. Nothing is free however from issues and errors - that’s development for you. It’s free unless you want it installed for you or want it hosted. All plugin re installed on build should you have them in your app.yml file

EDIT: As per last post :slight_smile:

(Muhammad Tassawarr) #4

could i have the best link to the latest version?

(Muhammad Tassawarr) #5

thanks for your reply . Really amazed by this information. :smiley:

If you want to install it yourself I recommend following the instructions below

Simple 30 minute basic install: discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

(Muhammad Tassawarr) #7

thanks man really :dagger:

(Muhammad Tassawarr) #8

i need to know could we host this in cpanel . Because it has ruby in it. :smiley:

(Jeff Atwood) #9

cpanel is incompatible with Discourse. You need a VPS.

(Muhammad Tassawarr) #10

i’ave a windows vps . So could i install it there?

(Jeff Atwood) #11

Unlikely, Discourse requires 64-bit linux with modern kernel version.

(Andrew Waugh) #12

Muhammad,

The best advice is from @mikechristopher above.

If you look through the support threads here on meta you will find lots and lots of people asking questions about how to make a non standard install work. If you use the standard docker installation then you’re working with a tried and tested method, if you hit a snag you’ll probably find that someone has had the same problem, and what the solution is, via search here on meta. If you do manage to break your instance in some new and novel way, then you’ll get a much faster response if you’re using the standard install.

(Muhammad Tassawarr) #13

Okay @codinghorror thanks