Discourse Shared Edits

I think I noticed a bug today. If you enable shared edits in the first post of the topic, the topic title is empty in the composer. When I save it, the title is retained. The screenshot below is from Teams, but I also am able to replicate on a normal Discourse site with shared edits plugin enabled.

Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 2.13.57 PM

3 Likes

As I am testing the plugin for my workflow for holding webinars on discourse, I made a video of how it behaves so it can serve you all:

5 Likes

We just did a small-scale test with 10 concurrent users, and most of the time it just reads

after hitting the EDIT button. Any ideas how to debug this?

1 Like

Have a look at logs, is there anything there?

1 Like

Several of them:

1 Like

How long was this document you tested on? If you test again on a shorter document don’t see it work?

1 Like

It was just 10 lines long:

1 Like

Any consistent repro? 2 people editing? 3,4?

1 Like

6 people were editing at the same time. 4 other people didn’t “get in” but got the “Internal server error” message. If any of the 6 people left the editing via “Done”, they werent able to re-enter the editing, too.

Those 10 were the only ones loged into discourse at the time, so no stress on the server (we are still in testflight mode for our social intranet, looging great so far).

1 Like

And another observation: the topic seems “broken” now - I can’t enter via “edit” but just get the server error, while no one else is editing any more.

I did a wiki-rewind to a version long ago - still no cigar, just the server error.

1 Like

A consistent repro will help lots, can you make this happen again on a new post?

1 Like

We just startet another topic and added 1 person at a time - that worked.

A few other observations:

• cursors/colors would be super helpful (I read the comments above but just my +1 for this feature)
  • it would be helpful to see who else is in editing mode. So not just when actually writing, but in editing in general. A UX solution would be to always show the avatars and just ad a :fountain_pen: symbol if they are actually writing. If there are too many: show a text “x users are in edit view”.
    Right now I am missing a sense of “am I alone or are there others around”.
  • If I enter the max-view, the “editing…” displays are invisible alltogether. They come back if I shrink the window again.
3 Likes