Discourse Taking too Much Space on Every Upgrade

(Siraj Mahmood) #1

I’m worried about discourse because at this time my forum has not more than 200 topic yet and we are using DO $10 packages includes 30 GB Space, 6 plugin has been installed on my forum and left space is 11.9 GB which is horrible because when we upgrade each time Discourse version to latest one then it’s space consuming in GBs :scream: OMG

Secondly we installed discourse solved, discourse adplugin, discourse bbcode color plugins and when we also update those plugins or install any plugin each plugin taking space in like 500 MB, 1 GB, 200 MB etc

Whats happening here… So far 200 topics on my forum and remain space is 11.9 GB Free :dizzy_face:
Yesterday 13 GB something was free yesterday night when we update docker manager and discourse to beta version then after we saw few hours 11.9 GB was remaining Approx 1.1 GB consumed during this upgradation…

Please help me!

(Alan Tan) #2

Have you tried cleaning up the old containers?

Low on disk space, cleaning up old Docker containers

cd /var/discourse
./launcher cleanup
apt-get autoclean
apt-get autoremove

(Siraj Mahmood) #3

To be honest, i do not know how to remove old containers ??

(Sam) #4

It’s somewhere in that thread, but:

cd /var/discourse
./launcher cleanup

Is all you need to do.

(Siraj Mahmood) #5

@Yuun i did it

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher cleanup 

but not effective so far…

(Sam) #6

Did it not remove anything when you ran the command or are you looking at the admin dashboard? The latter doesn’t update immediately, but the command should have shown you freeing up a good deal of space.

(Siraj Mahmood) #7

Yeah these commands working and showing that free huge space but still on dashboard same figures around there? Why still not update on dashboard… Do you means that, it will be updates on dashboard after few hours or particular time?

(Sam) #8

I forget how often the dashboard updates (every 30 minutes or so, maybe), but just give it a little time. If the command showed you freeing up a lot of space you’re good to go.

(Siraj Mahmood) #9

Okay… another one thing, this command will delete all freak data and free space or few data?

(Sam) #10

I’m not 100% sure what you mean, but it’ll remove any old containers, and if you’ve been running and upgrading your forum for a while without running cleanup that should be a substantial amount of space freed up.

The other things you can do to free up space (also mentioned in the thread tgxworld linked) are running: apt-get autoclean and apt-get autoremove, which aren’t specific to the discourse/docker setup but will remove old & unused stuff hanging around your Ubuntu installation. (ref: here for quick explanation of both commands, if needed)

(Siraj Mahmood) #11

I already did it almost 10.7 GB now free :wink:

Thank you…