Topic Author

I would love that as well.

2 Likes

This component is still maintained but at the moment and for the next 2 months I am engaged in another project and I cannot find the time to make changes to this component.

Feel free to add a PR yourself in order to show the username instead of the avatar, possibly as an option in the component settings.

7 Likes

Hi @dax ,

I’ve sent a PR. I hope this is ok. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Very nice! I noticed it breaks if GitHub - merefield/discourse-topic-list-previews-theme: Enriches the content and layout of topic lists is enabled on a category, is there maybe a way to test for this? Maybe add an option to disable it for certain categories?

4 Likes

Yeah, that might not be compatible.

It’s a bit conceptually different right off the bat: for a start, on mobile (non-tiles), TLP very deliberately replaces the avatar with the thumbnail (if present) entirely as a layout “streamlining” and compactness measure. Having both the thumbnail and avatar on the standard non-tiles view on mobile looks messy and cramped imho. TLP is opinionated!

The tiles layout (that shows both avatars and thumbnails) is necessarily completely custom (to facilitate the split second highly efficient masonry layout renderer)

PR welcome for TLP if you can maintain that behaviour (and existing TLP layout otherwise) whilst improving compatibility with this TC.

Given this is the only request I’ve had for this you may just want to create your own custom overrides (users have in the past) or switch to TL Thumbnails.

3 Likes

Is there an easy way to only let this plugin here load if the categories are no id=x? I haven’t looked at the API yet but if that is possible, it should be an easy fix.

1 Like

I saw this plugin you showed, but all the avatars appear before the topics, how do I show only one avatar before the topic, avatar of the one who created the topic?

1 Like

This change was in my previous PR I will send another PR today with a theme settings to move author column before topic.

I sent the PR. If everything is fine with it, it will be usable after review and merge.

6 Likes

Thanks for replying, what is PR?

1 Like

It means pull request. I sent some changes to the theme component authors and if they accept and merge it to the current version then you can update the component and use the new feature which is move the author column before topic column as you mentioned in your previous post.

3 Likes

I really appreciate the PR you put in to move the Avatar back to the first column! I was wondering-- is there any way to make it so the author’s avatar flair is also displayed with their profile picture? I thought it’d be really handy way for users to easily identify which posts are made by staff members/admins.

3 Likes

It does not seem to work with air theme. Is there any suggestion.?

1 Like

The Air theme already manipulates the page layout, especially the users column, so it is assumed that this component cannot work with that particular theme

4 Likes

sorry for topic necro. i have this theme installed and i recently noticed all my links to user cards are broken in the topic list page in mobile view. i have an open message correspondence with your support team on this issue. but i thought i should leave a post here about it too. i found the issue before i realized it was to do with this component, but when i disabled it, the user card links from the latest and category pages work as expected in mobile view.

2 Likes

i had to update this theme because the previous admin installed a forked version (it’s still installed). but i can’t get this one to show the author avatars in the first column like the Discourse screen shots above. the old forked version had the avatars first and i’d like to keep that layout.

1 Like

Seconding this as well. I would like to just use this component on the /categories section and not the latest section.

2 Likes

i’m getting a bunch of deprecation notices about this component in the dev console. still working fine.

i made a PR to add this plugin outlet to allow showing of view count stats in main category page topic list.

1 Like

After using the component, the author column is still where it was, how do I move it to the first column on the left? @dax

2 Likes

Hi @Dennis_P_Z :wave: I have a theme component that will work for you. It’s basically a re-write of this one with updated templates and more options :slight_smile:

3 Likes