Discourse - What do admins see on the Analytics dashboard?

(Shraddha Narang) #1

Hello,

I will be running a focus group where

• I will run polls, questionnaires and I need to see (screenshots) how Discourse will analyse the replies.
  • I will create sub-groups. Does Discourse help me do that?
  • What does the Analytics for the subgroups look like?

Can I learn more in detail about the 3 doubts above?

Please help me connect to someone who is already doing the above, OR a community that is running in the way I mentioned above.

Thank you in Advance!

P.S. My name is Shraddha and building communities for Indian brands to help top management stay directly connected to their most loyal customers. I am new to this platform so even a 2 minute will help me go long way.

Happy to help but your questions are a bit… ambiguous. Can you explain what you mean by ‘handles data analytics’?

And I haven’t heard of user masking before. Can you elaborate?

I had to read the question twice.

It sounds like @Shraddha_Narang means data masking of user data to preserve anonymity.

The data analytics question is usually put the other way around. “How does data analytic product name handle Discourse/Postgres data?” For example, “Does it have an importer?” as it is unusual for a product like Discourse to provide either a data analytic importer or a data masking capability.

(Shraddha Narang) #4

Hey,

I have edited the question, could you have a look?

(Shraddha Narang) #5

What I meant was

FOR EXAMPLE: In the community, I am gonna be talking about my relationship with fashion can be affected by how I relate to other people in my life.
I can write 3 posts publicaly to the community.

If the other people are My family, it becomes a very sensitive topic for me. I would want to make my next 2 posts ANONYMOUSLY ( without sharing my identity ). Is this possible on Discourse?

Thanks for trying to help.

(Mittineague) #6

You can enable anonymous posting. AFAIK, it is site-wide and all registered members, which may not be ideal, but it might work for you.

(Robert McIntosh) #7

@Mittineague is correct, Discourse has a function that allows users to switch to Anonymous mode so in the situation you describe, it would be possible to allow such conversations without linking to your user details

More information on this here:

(Shraddha Narang) #8

Got it, perfect! thank you.

(Shraddha Narang) #9

My god, this was soo very helpful, thank you!!!

If i can bug you just a li’l more, do you have any idea about Discourse’s data analytics?

I will be running a focus group on Discourse?
  • I will run polls, questionnaires and I need to see (screenshots) how Discourse will analyse the replies.
  • I will create sub-groups. Does Discourse help me do that?
  • What does the Analytics for the subgroups look like?

Can I learn more in detail about the 3 doubts above?

(Robert McIntosh) #10

Discourse itself is not an analytics programme, so as @Remah suggests, it is better to ask how you will analyse the data elsewhere, no?

You can create a poll here, like this:

Do you like polls?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

and the data for each are available when you click on Display Results

If you want more complex polling you will need to create polls off-site and use Discourse to encourage users to click on links or embed them in some way

Yes! What you will create are (sub)categories that can be controlled by security settings to determine who sees them and who can join; see:

The Discourse dashboard will give you information on usage, but not polls. To get very specific data you can install the Data Explorer plugin, or have a Business level hosted site with Discourse as this comes included.

(Shraddha Narang) #11

Totally, @robmc. I’m sorry I missed @Remah ’ s suggestion on changing the question.

As he and you suggest, I need to know how you will analyse the data collected within Discourse, elsewhere?

Also, I was going through the features and I figured a feature “SUMMERIZE TOPICS”. It sounds awesome but I am unable to understand it completely. Could you help?

(Robert McIntosh) #12

I’m afraid I can only answer that when you show me what data you will collect, and how

Are you going to use sentiment analysis on text entries? Or use our poll tool to collect answers to individual questions? Or maybe use custom user fields?

As the site admin you can export the database and query any data points you want (and have the rights to - as defined by your own privacy policy, of course) but we don’t store complex questionnaire-style data in the way, say, ResearchMonkey might

It is! A little bit of magic. The easiest way is to demonstrate it here. If you find ANY topic with more than 50 replies you will see that the Opening Post (OP) will now include a “Summarise This Topic” button that allows you to see the ‘top’ replies (most likes, replies, quotes, etc.) only - this gives you a sense of the discussion.

Here is an example:

(Shraddha Narang) #13

You are super helpful @robmc !!! Thanks a ton.

My last doubt I guess, what are canned topics?

(Robert McIntosh) #14

There are no canned topics, but we do have canned replies - I believe that is what you mean?

The information is here:

In essence you create short written text that can be inserted as a block whenever it is required. This is not a bot (so not automatic) but rather than re-typing you select the appropriate ‘canned’ reply and it gets added to a post for you

(Mittineague) #16

Are topic templates still a thing?

(Robert McIntosh) #17

Yes, these are still part of Discourse and I suppose could be relevant here - thanks for this @Mittineague :+1:

However, just for the record, these are standard templates for a whole category (or subcategory). If you want to have multiple templates for new topics or replies, this would still be the Canned Replies plugin and this is available only on our Business hosting agreement or above, or when self-hosted.