Discourse's LICENSE.txt misses the Copyright Holder's Name + Year

See line 293 and 294 :smile:

This seems to be very frequently forgotten.

(Michael Downey) #2

Line 294 is part of an example, which starts at line 282. This example instructs a person creating works licensed under the GPL how to include a GPL-compliant header in their source code files. It is not intended to be an actual copyright declaration.

I’m not sure, however, whether or not Discourse is using this license header anywhere in the code base. A quick look around didn’t yield any results.

Well then should only Line 293 to 308 be included at all?

Makes sense what you were saying.

(Michael Downey) #4

Because per https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html:

You should also include a copy of the license itself somewhere in the distribution of your program. All programs, whether they are released under the GPL or LGPL, should include the text version of the GPL. In GNU programs the license is usually in a file called COPYING.

… which is what LICENSE.txt is. :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Well I think the problem is these might be interpreted as tags, we should change the characters used to delimit. Good point, I will do.

(Michael Downey) #6

No guarantees Richard Stallman won’t come down on you for that, though, for tainting the purity of the GPL. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Oh wait no sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about the ToS or Privacy topics that come with Discourse.

@Moter8 you are mistaken here. That section is an example, so the way it is formatted is correct. And it doesn’t appear in Markdown form anywhere, either.

See where it says “Here is a sample?” … it’s a sample. The text is correct as-is.

(Jeff Atwood) #8