Dismiss buttons missing on category new/unread

(David Maxwell) #1

The dismiss buttons are missing on the new/latest pages when you’re in a category specific page:

New:

(cpradio) #2

As an FYI, they never show up on Latest, it is New and Unread :wink: (I’ve updated your title). But yes, they currently are not on a category view of New/Unread.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

How hard would it be to add this here @eviltrout?

(Robin Ward) #4

I think last time I looked into it, it wasn’t simple. But I don’t think it’s very hard either. Somewhere in the middle.

(Bill Ayakatubby) #5

The perfect Diplomatic Developer response! :thumbsup:

(cpradio) #6

I’m going to take a stab at this, since I just got my feet wet with Clear Notifications :smile:

(cpradio) #7

Okay, so a few questions: (ping @codinghorror, @sam, @eviltrout, @zogstrip)

Quickest solution for Dismiss Topics/Posts is to detect that the filter doesn’t equal ‘unread’, as it has the category slug in it, and to then use this.get('model').topics to send to bulkOperation (or using selected when applicable).

This limits the topics dismissed to those shown on the page (as they are what are loaded in the model) – which I believe some people wanted, but it got me to thinking… should the /unread (non-category specific) do that too? I know right now it will remove ALL topics in an unread status, whether they are loaded or not, so if you didn’t scroll down and just clicked the Dismiss Topics button at the top, you knocked them all out.

So far this seems to work for both Topics and Posts, New will be a bigger challenge.

If the above process is not ideal, I need some help. What is the best way to send the “category” down to the bulk operations so they limit their reach? I originally thought about passing the entire filter slug down, but I’m not sure that is the right path to take (although it is doable).

(Robin Ward) #8

On the new/unread page it has a very clear meaning of “Get rid of all these topics” whether they are loaded or not. I think for consistency we should do the same for category specific new/unread pages.

In other words, rather than selecting the topics in memory, just contacting an API endpoint to dismiss all in the particular category. It probably should be the same basic server side code as dismiss, just with a category id as a parameter.

(cpradio) #9

I’ve completed this for Dismiss Posts/Topics.

I have no idea how to handle Dismiss New. That updates a user_stat with an updated timestamp, so I don’t see an easy solution on how to limit it on a specific category… and placing the button on a category filtered view would be misleading, if it impacts all categories.

Dismiss Topics/Replies per Category
Dismiss (new topics) button missing
(cpradio) #10

I have no plans on trying to get Dismiss New on the Category view. The system just isn’t designed for that kind of change :frowning:

But Dismiss Posts/Topics is available now that it is merged into master.

(Jeff Atwood) #11