Display active login method

(Nathaniel Palmer) #1

Recently I wanted to log-in to meta.discourse.com on a new device. I wasn’t sure which login method I should use, however, since I couldn’t remember which one I’d originally used to set up my account. To avoid similar confusion I think it would be helpful to display the active login method on the account summary page.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

That does not really make sense, because you would show your email address (login key is email) to all other users.

Remember you are not logged in yourself when you are trying to view this…

The existing Forgot Login link should suffice. Try that.

(Nathaniel Palmer) #3

Maybe so. Although I wasn’t implying this information should be publicly visible. My scenario involves already being logged in on one device (hence I would have access to my private user profile) but not yet logged in on some other device. Also it might not be immediately obvious to users who have only signed in using external accounts that the “reset password” link applies to them.

Maybe it’s just me, but I like knowing which accounts I have linked together, and Discourse isn’t very transparent in this regard.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

I see. If you are logged in on another device, look for your email address on your profile. Whatever you used to sign in, maps to that email address.

(But yes, if you have 5 different services that all use that email address, it could be more complicated.)

(Nathaniel Palmer) #5

Right. I did figure that out eventually; it just wasn’t obvious to me from looking at the login panel. .

(Sam Saffron) #6

I would like this work done, coupled with some other work.

@davidcelis was meaning to look at it but got a bit busy.

Essentially we would like to allow “already logged on” accounts, to “attach” additional auth providers.

Your account should display all the current ones.

For example, this is what Stack Exchange do:

(Kane York) #7

This is mostly useful for “attaching” the Twitter auth (because it doesn’t provide the email) and adding a password auth (I actually just did that, and the way I found was through a password reset email).

Still needed, but I think the use-cases are limited to those two + plugin-provided auth.

(Nathaniel Palmer) #8

That sounds about right. Would it also be possible to eventually have a “merge accounts” feature in case a user accidentally creates a second Discourse account by signing in with an external account not associated with the email address they originally signed up with? I say this mostly out of frustration with my two un-mergeable Apple-ID accounts.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

One baby step in this direction, we now show registration method in the staff view of an account.