Display names in preferences

Hello!

I hope everyone is enjoying the lovely weather (in London that is!).

Also, is it possible for forum members to change their display name or is the admin the only one authorised to do this? A couple of my members have asked how to do this and upon giving them instructions, they’ve all said that there is no option to edit their display name in the ‘preferences’ section.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Best,
RB

(Régis Hanol) #2

Is the “enable names” site setting disabled by any chances?

Hi Regis,

Will this enable them to change their display name?

Thanks,
RB

(Régis Hanol) #4

What is it you’re calling “display name”? Is it the username or the name?

The “enable names” site setting shows/hide the Name.

Sorry, i meant username. I can see from the screenshot that there is a pencil symbol which allows you to change your username which is the same thing i see in my account section. However, my members have said that they cannot see the pencil symbol to change theirs.

(Régis Hanol) #6

In that case, either SSO is enabled (and overrides usernames) or their account is older than what the “username change period” site setting allows.

Hi Regis,

That makes perfect sense. I can see from our settings that the username change period is set to “1 day” so herein lies the problem.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.

Best,
Reah

(Robert McIntosh) #8

Just be careful changing this setting as it is not straightforward to allow members to change usernames after they have been posting and been mentioned in the community

I think the default is usually 3 days (to give some time to decide but not too long to create tons of content that might then get orphaned)

Hi Robert,

Good point. I’ll definitely bear this in mind.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Best,
Reah