Do minimum length email replies get lost?

(Stephen) #1

We’ve had a number of email replies go AWOL recently and they all seem to have one thing in common: the length of the response.

Does the current minimum message length also apply to emails? If so, any the user isn’t being sent any kind of error, how do they know their reply wasn’t seen?

Set up Reply via Email Support :e-mail:
(Michael Downey) #2

Yes, but as far as I know people were (somewhat recently) getting notified of this error by email back from Discourse.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Nope, you will get an email reply if your email is too short to be posted. Try it yourself if you don’t believe me.

(Stephen) #4

I don’t doubt you, but as I’ve not lost messages myself I’m troubleshooting with one arm behind my back, which is always fun.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Here’s what I got when I emailed in a one word reply to this topic: “short”.

We're sorry, but your email message to [xxxx@discourse.org"] (titled Re: [Discourse Meta] [howto] Set up reply via email support) didn't work.

Reason:

Body is too short (minimum is 20 characters)
Body is invalid; try to be a little more descriptive

If you can correct the problem, please try again.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #6

Honestly, sending these back to the end user is pretty useless from an admin point of view… holding it for moderation, and letting the sender know why is a solution that allows everyone to move forward, vs go back & try to resend to a one-off reply-to email address.

I say that the answer to the OP is “yes, they are lost to the forum admin”.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Hmm, good point, I think you can reply again though to the original message. Not to the error email itself, though, that’s true.

I’ll test in a bit.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

This is a long enough email reply sent in reply to the email notification,
after getting a rejection for a previous email reply to the very same
email notification that was too short.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #9

I appreciate that you took the time to resend it on your own.

Many people won’t take the time, or will fuss at the admin to see why their post was rejected.

Of course, I’ve moved pretty far way from the OP now… yes replies get lost.

Here is my proper request for a better alternative: