Docker Manager shows wrong version - Can't Upgrade

Hi Folks,

I’m trying to upgrade docker_manager via GUI so that I can upgrade the discourse version but it doesn’t appear to be updating properly. I run the upgrade via the UI but it hasn’t seemed to written the version change.

I’ve done a ./launcher rebuild app.

I’ve confirmed that git has pulled the latest commit from the master branch inside the app container.
But the version in the UI doesn’t change, and so the upgrade for the other items remain greyed out. Am I missing something? Do I need to manually update the current version somewhere?

Thanks,

Glenn.

2 Likes

Just upgrade everything at the command line.

3 Likes

Thanks Jeff. Apologies for the dumb question (relatively new to discourse) but how do I do the upgrade from the command line? Is there a doco for doing that?

Cheers,

Glenn.

2 Likes

Try doing a git pull && ./launcher rebuild app from the command line. This will upgrade docker manager and discourse.

2 Likes

Thanks Justin,

Unfortunately, that’s what I’ve already done and it hasn’t upgraded it.

Cheers,

Glenn.

1 Like

It looks like you’ve only used the first command which pulled the latest version. You also need to run the other command to apply those latest changes to your Discourse instance:

./launcher rebuild
1 Like

Nah… did both. Was just showing the git status as being up to date, so confused as to why the rebuild hasn’t done anything.

./launcher rebuild app

2 Likes

Do you have any other containers running by chance? Our templates in the containers folder?

1 Like

Nope just Discourse. I’m still really green around the gills with docker. I’ve done the ubuntu updates and docker updates as well, and the only error i can see is a redis one.

unicorn.stderr.log

Actually it looks like quite a lot of can’t connect to redis errors. Anyone have any tips on what I could do to troubleshoot that?

1 Like

I don’t think git pull is required there, at least as I recall it hasn’t been required for a few years now since the launcher script does a git pull.

1 Like

That’s good to know! I didn’t realize it did one.

1 Like

A long shot might be to restart/reboot your VPS. There was a docker issue resolved that way in about December.

3 Likes

Thanks, but yeah no change. I don’t know how but it looks like redis is not binding to it’s port properly or something. I also can’t access the /logs page, and there are message-bus errors in the browser log.

Which plugins are installed? I can see events and openid-connect - are there any others?

1 Like

Hi Stephen,

Just those two at this stage.

Cheers,

Glenn.

I noticed on a rebuild that redis mentions being unable to bind to a port, can anyone suggest what might be already using it? Should I change the redis port?

Check your opened ports running sudo lsof -i -P -n | grep LISTEN, it should show lines like:

docker-pr 9489 root 4u IPv6 79698 0t0 TCP *:8443 (LISTEN)

See if the port used by redis (6379) is in use. You can also run docker ps to see the ports used by your containers (to see if some container is using the redis port). It will show lines like:

f350560fb32e main_redis "docker-entrypoint.s…" 3 weeks ago Up 11 minutes 6379/tcp main_redis_1

If you are using the standalone install (with only one container), only that container should be running, so it’s weird the issue you are receiving, and from a previous post of yours it seems that you only installed discourse. Maybe an old discourse container was running already?

Anyway, you can run the commands above to try to find the issue.

2 Likes