Docker's Logos setting page gone and I cannot set logos

unsupported-install

(Tom Hsiung) #1

Hello,

It’s strange that the page had gone. Uploading self-defined logos did not work. It seems that the Discourse’s file system had broken and the folder storing logos disappeared.

Tom

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Your address bar shows a raw IP address. Discourse does not support running at a raw IP address. You need a proper DNS name.

(Tom Hsiung) #3

No. It worked several days ago by the same URL.

(Jay Pfaffman) #5

The solution today is to use a domain name.

(Tom Hsiung) #6

I use dDNS. I must use port forward to let people from Internet to access my home linux server. But the Discourse’s rule makes it not possible to set a Discourse hostname (domain name) like www.abc.com:8080. It only can be set as www.abc.com, but I want to add the port number.

The reason why I have to do that is because I use dDNS and port forward. But the domain name would be used by Discourse to send emails like registering activation email, etc. The issue is that the URL in these email is www.abc.com, rather than www.abc.com:8080. People could not access my site by www.abc.com, rather they have to access my site by www.abc.com:8080.

Tom

(Jay Pfaffman) #7

I see. Running on a non standard port isn’t supported either.

(Tom Hsiung) #8

I hope in future this feature should be added. I don’t have VPS so I have to use a home server. Thanks.

PS: How about to modify the email template? Possible to work?

Tom

(Vinoth Kannan) #9

Try by setting port value as SiteSetting.port = 8080 using rails c. It may work for you but I am not sure.

(Jay Pfaffman) #10

That’s not very likely. You can either come up with $5/month or figure out how to configure your router/server to not require the port. Thought it’s not supported here, you can configure your web server behind your router that will resolve a bunch of domains and route them the right place. You might search for “reverse proxy”.

You usually have to pay extra for a fixed IP at home, why not just rent a VPS with the money saved from having a dynamic IP at home?

(Michael Howell) #12

“Dynamic DNS” means that they’re not using a fixed IP address, either. Instead, there’s a program running on the server that occasionally checks what the Internet-exposed IP address is and changes the DNS if needed.

DDNS would actually be fine, but running on a non-standard port is not. The two are basically unrelated, except that @Thsiung’s ISP requires both (by blocking port 80 and by giving them a dynamic IP).

Got it thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

(Tom Hsiung) #14

Oh! My username was hidden.

(Jeff Atwood) #15