Document keyboard command to link a URL

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #1

I’m a huge keyboard fan… anything I can do to prevent a mouse click is great.

I’m creating documentation in our discourse and am constantly making linked text pre-formatted by typing Command K.

It took me a minute to realize that the command I’m used to in gmail, google docs and wordpress won’t work here, and I have to remember that it’s Command L to link text.

Could we get K made more universal, and maybe add these to the keyboard shortcut list?

(cpradio) #2

Just to be clear, you are referring to the Composer Window shortcuts, correct?

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #3

and of course, as soon as I posted this, I had to use ⌘L to create a link in chargify’s liquid editor, so I guess this L / K thing just something to remember. I’ve changed the topic title to just have it added to the shortcut map, as it’s not worth re-writing some standard library over.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #4

Yes, when composing this reply, for instance

(cpradio) #5

@codinghorror

I don’t mind adding all of the composer shortcuts to the keyboard shortcut modal , but space wise, it will cause the window to scroll which isn’t very keyboard accessible.

Your thoughts? One suggestion would be to increase the width, giving room for a fourth column labeled “Composer”

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #6

Seems to be space for a Composing section below Application

(I’d avoid wider if possible and test on a 13" screen at 80% width before even going there)

(EDIT you weren’t asking me, dur)

(cpradio) #7

Those are good points, but there are 11 shortcuts, so all of those won’t fit under Application without scrolling

(Jeff Atwood) #8

No, I do not support these being added here – it makes no sense.

When I press ? right now, I get ?, not a list of shortcuts. The composer shortcuts are different.

Anyway, if you want the keyboard shortcuts for the composer, just hover over the button:

(cpradio) #9

I don’t feel strongly one way or another, just wanted to point out, that only helps mouse users :wink: (although, I’ve discovered most of them without the mouse by trial and error)

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Regardless, there would need to be another way to trigger help, and it should probably be specific help for the composer.

If I am in the composer (as I am right now) and I wonder “gee what’s the keyboard shortcut for bold”, pressing ? is only going to type ?

(cpradio) #11

No argument there. I’ve been wondering what a good way would be and I was thinking triggering something on F1 may be appropriate.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #12

My F1 key just dims my screen. is ctrl / a thing?

(cpradio) #13

For you, the true F1 key may actually be FN + F1. I know several laptops are starting to be their “custom” keys first now a days and that annoys the crap out of me.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #14

honestly, I’m not sure what outside of an icon <i class="fa fa-keyboard-o"></i> which I could click on is going to show me that I could possibly see a list of shortcuts. And at that point, it could be any key you wanted in that window.

I’d click it once, see that the toggle is F1, or whatever, and be quite happy that the list is right there.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #15

As of today, ⌘L selects the URL, as I’m used to across all Mac web browsers.

⌘K now opens the URL linking dialog, as I’m used to in other platforms such as WordPress.

THANK YOU!