Using Discourse as a Document Repository?

Hi,

Hope you are well.

Anyone had any success setting up a document repo on Discourse.

Let me explain I have built a static site for a client almost ready to go live and occasionally they require the sharing of files with their community. I.e Members f the forum I thought it would be a good idea to have a single repo where powerpoint files etc are available to the community what is the best way to achieve this or best practice

1 Like

Discourse is not designed to be a file repository. If you occasionally need to make things available you could add the file type to the upload types and output and upload those files. You could create a category just for uploads if you wanted.

5 Likes

We recommend using a real document / drive / file sharing service (Google Drive, Dropbox, or similar) and posting links to those documents in Discourse topics as you see fit.

2 Likes

All of the above, plus to say that Discourse isn’t a document management system, if that’s what they’re looking for then some of the behaviors are going to be very confusing.

You can’t upload a file over an existing file of the same name, there’s no concept of versioning either.

3 Likes