Does changing case of usernames have consequences?

(Esko) #1

I want to rename a user called UserName to Username. Will this affect quotes? There are no mentions yet, but for completeness, please answer that as well.

If you change your username, all prior quotes of your posts and @name mentions will be broken. Are you absolutely sure you want to?

Test

@JooiZe

Conclusion

• Quotes continue to function after case changes to username.
  • Mentions continue to function, but display the case typed in the post for the popover contact card.

(Mittineague) #2

Many things in Discourse are cross referenced by “username lower” not “user id”

Quotes and mentions are two such things,

As the Warning says

I’m not understanding how that is not clear to you.

Off-topic

Why are you testing here instead of at try or on a dev install?

(Esko) #3

It is not obvious to me from that warning whether a case change only will break quotes and mentions.

When posting I didn’t realise how simple it was to test, though there may be some intricacy I’m unaware of that can be pointed out. Once I got the idea to test it, why not here for everyone to find?

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #4

Replies and quotes are case sensitive in the markdown content, but this will break when / if you cook the post after the rename.

(Esko) #5

Does that mean my conclusions are misleadingly optimistic? I don’t understand. Can something break later?

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #6

I’m Falco here, with an uppercase F.

When I’m quoted or mentioned the markdown uses the @Falco and [quote="Falco"].

This will get cached when the post is cooked, so after a rename, you will only see the changes if/when you rebuild the posts.