Does Discourse automatically delete unactivated users?

(Joshua Frank) #1

I wrote a script to create users from a spreadsheet, so an entire group will be added in one go. But from time to time, someone from a group will say they can’t get in, and indeed there is no user for them, even though I know there was one in the past. I’m the only one who can delete a user, and I know I didn’t do it.

So my question is: does Discourse automatically delete users? If so, what are the rules for this, and can I disable it?

(Dave McClure) #2

Yes, users who never activate their account and verify their email address will be deleted automatically after a period of time. See also:

(Joshua Frank) #3

Ugh, that explains it. I also went to the log and saw this:

But I remain puzzled, because why does it give a reason for that first delete, but not the others? And can I disable the auto-delete feature? My forum sends invitations, which may well sit for a while before someone activates them, and then I have to recreate everything, which is annoying.

(Dave McClure) #4

I know there’s a setting to allow you to set the grace period (see the other topic). If you have other questions / ideas regarding this issue, better to post there and keep the discussion in one place.

(Jeff Atwood) #5