Double buttons at bottom of signup screen causes confusion for non-techies

(Love Chopra ) #1

I find lot many users are getting confused at signup screen on my discourse instance

They fill their details and then got confused with two parallel action of “Create New Account” or “Log in”

Why can’t our Signup/Login screen UX be simply like as we see in all other websites, for example:

(Khoa Nguyen) #2

I think you should read this first
http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-god-login/

(Jens Maier) #3

I think he has a point. The dialog would be clearer if there was just one button and a link with slightly more verbiage:

(Love Chopra ) #4

@elberet Yes you are right it would be much clearer if there is just one button and a link

(Jeff Atwood) #5

I did originally want to make the “secondary” one a link, but didn’t want to break functionality by switching it from a button html type. Might be able to do it by setting those button #ids to background-color:transparent and fixing the hovers…

(Jeff Atwood) #6

OK a few minor CSS tweaks later, we have:

and

(clickable area is no longer button size, the target area is just the text for the one on the right – a bigger target for the more “obvious” action.)

See if that helps. I agree that the old default button style was a bit too much for these, as they are almost “tabs” to go to the other dialog, e.g. to switch from login to create new account, or create new account to login.

(Jeff Atwood) #7