Duplicate Meta Descriptions on Topics

(Mark Fleming) #1

I am thinking of using discourse and am checking it out. But I see a problem with the Meta Descriptions for topics. They seem to be all duplicates of this:

<meta name="description" content="Discussion about the next-generation open source Discourse forum software">

Google does not like this in the least, and gives warnings about it on Webmaster Tools. In addition, it’s too general for the SERPs, for a user to get an idea of the particular topic.

Is this on purpose, or something that has been overlooked?

My suggestion is to use the first 150 characters of the initial topic post for the meta description.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

If I view source on this page I see

<meta name="description" content="I am thinking of using discourse and am checking it out.  But I see a problem with the Meta Descriptions for topics.  They seem to be all duplicates of this: 

&amp;lt;meta name=&amp;quot;description&amp;quot; content=&amp;quot;Discussion about the next-&amp;hellip;">

According to @sam we are not updating the dynamic in memory DOM representation here, but Google should be spidering the actual content we serve…

(Jeff Atwood) #4

I checked webmaster tools for meta.discourse today and I am not seeing this at all.

Webmaster tools does “complain” that there is duplicate title / meta description on different pages of the topic…

but that’s by design.

(Jeff Atwood) #5