Duplicate notifications with pencil and reply arrow?

(Stuart Alexander) #1
  • Create topic
  • User2 replies to my thread -> 1 notification
  • User2 replies to the topic -> 1 notification

Attached you can see I got notified about a topic twice (top 2). Ironically talking about notifications…

(Stuart Alexander) #2

And/Or, when I read a topic, this should clear any outstanding notifications about this. (likes + replies)

(Michael Downey) #3

That second one (pencil) icon seems to be representing the fact that your first post in the topic was edited by @codinghorror, not because there were two replies (actually only 1 reply and one closing of the topic).

Do you think that edits shouldn’t be a separate notification?

(Jeff Atwood) #4

As @downey said, not a duplicate notification, two distinct notifications

• I replied to your post
  • I edited your post

(Stuart Alexander) #5

Should both of these notifications not go away when I read the post? Otherwise, in order to clear the notification, I have to click on the notification and go to the post again.
Although, I don’t see any visual indication on the topic that it’s been edited, so that would need to be added if that was the case.

(PJH) #6

The notifications are for different posts. (Whether the blue highlight should automatically go away if both posts are visible on screen is probably what you’re asking - were they?)

(TechnoBear) #7

[quote=“stu1, post:5, topic:19039, full:true”]
Should both of these notifications not go away when I read the post? Otherwise, in order to clear the notification, I have to click on the notification and go to the post again.
[/quote]I think that’s related to this:

(Stuart Alexander) #8

For clarity, I am talking about the first 2 notifications in the attached screenshot. I already cleared them. So they were for the same post

(Michael Downey) #9

Actually, they were not related to the same post. First notification was for the reply (second post in the topic). Second notification was for the edit of the first post in the topic.

As mentioned earlier:

(PJH) #10

The two notifications should be linked to different posts, so aren’t ‘for the same post.’

The first is telling you someone replied to your topic and will be a link to that reply (post #2 in this instance). Specifically, the reply notifications do not link to the post that was replied to as I think you believe. (The latter you’re supposed to infer from the reply that notification takes you to.)

The second is telling you someone edited a post in your topic (and since there’s only one there it would be to post #1.)

So in this instance, notification #1 -> post #2, notification #2 -> post #1.

(Stuart Alexander) #11

Ok, I understand and this makes logical sense, however from a user’s perspective, they both go to the same "page " with the same conversation and content which is what made me mistake them for duplicates.

(Michael Downey) #12

In theory you’ll be scrolled down the page to the post in question. For a post with less than a screen-ful, that really doesn’t accomplish anything. But it should also briefly highlight in light blue after you click on a notification so you can see which post in a topic is being referred to.

(PJH) #13

Hence:     

(Dan Dascalescu) #14

I also see two notifications for the same post, which is a reply to a post of mine, linking to another post of mine: