Edit theme based site blurb in Discourse

Hello,
I’m trying to edit the blurb under my forum’s title, but for the life of me, I can’t find the setting for it, and I’ve searched/googled to no avail. I think the problem is that I don’t know what this blurb is called in the discourse settings – it’s not the site description – it’s the part that’s circled in the attached image. Do you know how to edit this?

FWIW, this is a pretty vanilla discourse install, and I definitely didn’t add any custom CSS or other content – not sure how I set up this blurb in the first place.

Hmmm. I don’t think that’s a banner topic. I don’t think those can look like that.

I like the look of it though. When you figure it out can you post back here? I’d like to do something similar.

It’s definitely pinned to the top of every page in the forum, if that helps. Makes the typo I left in the text a bit embarrassing, though

Best guess is that’s a theme or theme component. As an admin, check out https://forum.lookingglassfactory.com//admin/customize/themes and see if there are any themes or components.

5 Likes

Oh man, we figured it out – Joshua was spot on.
It was in the theme – as far as I can figure out, I wrote this little blurb when I was going through the discourse setup wizard, and it embedded the text into the html of a theme. I’m running the default theme, so I had just expected this was a usual discourse field.

Anyway, to edit it, we had to go to Customize>Themes -> click on default -> edit css/html -> After Header
and edit the text inside

We didn’t even realize that discourse had an html editor in the first place – I had grepped through the entire discourse install looking for keywords from my paragraph, but there are no files, because the entire text of the html doc is stored in the database. One of our devs finally figured it out after three of us frantically clicking around for six hours. Fun!

I’m kinda at a loss for why discourse stores this bit of information like this. Mayyybe I edited this html file directly, somehow, but I’m 99.9% sure I didn’t, given that I’ve never seen the theme html editor interface before in my life, and this is a verrry vanilla discourse install, with nothing edited or customized outside the settings interface. I’m pretty sure that I entered this text while I was setting up the forum through the discourse wizard, but what’s so confusing is that all the other info I entered in the wizard ends up as a settings field, but this particular bit gets baked into html hidden in the database.

1 Like