Editing User Email Addresses

(Simeon) #1

Again not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

As an admin I cannot seem to edit a user’s email address or trigger a password reset. Unless I enter ‘impersonate’.

However if you:

• Edit Username
  • Enter same username user already has

It brings up a version of the page where I can trigger an email change and password reset.

Why can’t I do this without editing the username first?

(Vinoth Kannan) #2

It is user preferences page where you can edit email address and trigger password reset. You can goto there any time by visiting the URL /users/USERNAME/preferences. Also you can see the link to it in user profile page.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Just visit the user preference page like the user would.

(Andrew Waugh) #4

As @vinothkannans wrote, you don’t need to impersonate, just do it from /users/USERNAME/preferences

But send the user a PM or email first, telling them what you’re going to change it to, and warn them that if they have been using their username to login then the old one won’t work anymore.

I’ve only changed usernames at their own request… it took me a while to twig that not all users grasp the full significance of having a different username, so I always send them a message explaining it before I change it, and wait for them to acknowledge it. This saves me time by not having to deal with subsequent “Help, I can’t login.” emails to our support account.

(Simeon) #5

Really weird then that the front-end provides more options than the back end settings for editing users.

And yeah I’m only in a big rush of bulk user editing after doing a huge import of users and of course there’s lots of broken/outdated email addresses in there. Along with users who had spaces in their names that now have underscores.