Edits are not always instantly showing in a post after editing due to cloudflare

Hey,

I just noticed a little thing that I can’t really reliably reproduce. We’re on a docker install (pretty much default) with Cloudflare (using the Cloudflare template). Not sure but maybe Cloudflare has to do with that.

Here’s what a user noticed and told me: After editing his own post he doesn’t see the edit after saving but sees it after reloading. We made sure his Browser isn’t an issue (private window, different browser, no addons, yada yada yada) but couldn’t get it fix. I tested it for me and everything worked as expected: I did instantly see my edits.

Now today I edited one of my posts in a longer thread (only a few posts long though but not an empty test thread) and saw the same “issue”. While it’s not really an issue I still think it’s not how it’s supposed to work. Just removed a few words of my post, saved and didn’t see any changes. After a browser refresh everything was there.

Any idea what might be going on? Any hints on how to hunt that thing down?

Thank you!
Frank

If you have the Cloudflare orange cloud on, Cloudflare is likely interfering with these updates.

Well orange cloud off means Cloudflare off so… :man_shrugging:

But good to know.

1 Like

No the orange cloud means Cloudflare is proxying the connection:

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.42.39 AM

If you have any of their performance features turned on for your Discourse installation it will definitely introduce delays on updates.

You need to create a page rule matching the Discourse domain turning ‘Performance Off’. You can use a page rule to cache the contents of your uploads folder to offload file transfer, but that’s about all you can use it for beyond obscuring your IP address.

1 Like

Well Proxy off means Cloudflare turned off basically because everything is left then is the DNS. That’s what I was trying to say.

Going to hunt down on the performance exclusion.

This is what the rule needs to look like:

4 Likes

Turn cloudflare all the way off and verify that the behavior goes away, first.

1 Like

I have confirmed everything works with cloudflare taken out of the game but disabling performance didn’t help on first try. I will continue the hunt to find the issue.

2 Likes