Egocentric features?

(Mateo Sol) #1

One of the things I’m loving about Discourse is the badges and Trust system which is why I’m considering installing it.

My community is very label driven; they take pride in the different identities (psychology MBTI, Astrological etc…) they belong to.

I’ve always found that starting new forums is pretty difficult so creating “egocentric” incentives is always an advantage.

My question is, would it be possible to have a small icon, or a text status ribbon that describes the different labels these people identify with? And if so, is it possible to have multiple badges/statuses?

I was thinking of creating groups so that each person could join and then once they are a member of it, it can display an icon or colorful text ribbon under their username. Or maybe self-assigned from a list of badges available based on the users level?

What other incentive driven features are available for Discourse?

What is the best practice for displaying user's Authority, "flair" or "role" in the forum?
(Sam Saffron) #2

The changes you are describing would require a custom plugin. Can you provide visual mocks of what you are envisioning?

(Mateo Sol) #3

I was thinking of something like the trophy icon next to your username that represents you’re an admin, only instead, to have a few different ones representing with what group they identify with (INTJ for example or Aries).

Alternatively, ribbons self-assigned or assigned automatically when you join a user group could work well also. Similar to what Nodebb has for their staff:

(Sam Saffron) #4

You can style that kind of stuff already, if you set a primary group for a user we add that class to one of the divs above.

(Michael Congiusta) #5

Something that might be worth considering is having similar data bindings for the badges users have earned. I understand that you can see a subset of badges when you click an avatar, but for some communities like the one mentioned in the OP (the one I’m building is similar), that one click means badges will usually be overlooked.

(Kane York) #6

Example:

.topic-post.group-discourse .topic-avatar:after {
  content: "Microbiologist";
  font-size: 10px;
  background-color: skyblue;
  padding: 3px;
  float: right;
  margin-top: 5px;
}

Note: That is not actually correct

(Jeff Atwood) #7

@sam is actually a vegemitologist

(Tom Newsom) #8

This would be nice.

eg:

Maybe with different styling for Primary and Other groups.

This has become relevant to our site: We’re assigning people to small teams whose membership overlaps (ie. some users are members of multiple Groups). It will be useful to know when you’re speaking to a member of one of those teams, but currently only one of them can be displayed.