Email Notifications Related Questions

(Ravi Jayagopal) #1

I have a few items related to Email Notifications that I wish to combine into one post:

1. A handful of users in my community are complaining that no matter how many times they unsubscribe from the link at the bottom of new-post notification emails, they keep getting them. Any idea why?

2. Is there a way for someone to unsubscribe from other user-post notifications, but still get notifications only for posts by a staff member, like admin, for eg.)?

3. Under Preferences > Emails, I don’t see how a user would completely unsubscribe from all system emails.

Thanks for your help!

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #2

There’s lots of possible reasons. First question would be why they’re getting the emails in the first place? Do they have mailing list mode enabled? Are they watching a category? Something else? Once we know that, we can help confirm how to completely stop the emails.

Not really, no. Assuming the user doesn’t have mailing list mode enabled, and isn’t watching any topic/categories, they would receive emails “when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username, or invites me to a topic”. There is no way to disable that for only non-staff users.

Under Preferences > Emails there isn’t a “one click” option to unsubscribe completely. That option exists on each unsubscribe page: “Don’t send me any mail from …”. Under preferences, a user could stop most emails by ensuring nothing is checked off. They will still receive system emails, like if they requested a password reset, or they were suspended.

(Ravi Jayagopal) #4

There’s lots of possible reasons. First question would be why they’re getting the emails in the first place?

Don’t know. That’s what I’m trying to find out. What default settings should I be checking as the admin?

Do they have mailing list mode enabled?

Mailing-list mode means they will get an email for every single post across the forum? Or only for the ones they’re watching (because they replied to it at some point)?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #5

You’ll want to check the email settings within /admin/site_settings/category/user_preferences, specifically default email mailing list mode, default categories watching, and default categories watching first post. If any have been modified from their defaults, users may be receiving emails without directly requesting them.

As admin, you can also look at a user’s preferences. On their preferences, you can see if they’ve enabled mailing list mode (email tab), if they modified When I post in a topic, set that topic to (notifications tab), and if they’re watching any categories or tags.

Correct. Every single topic and post they have access to will be emailed to them, unless they mute them.

By default, users watch topics they create. They track (no emails, just an unread indicator) topics they replied to or read for more than 4 minutes.