Email Settings Not Adhered To On User Creation

(James North) #1

Continuing the discussion from User profile watch/track/mute options not persisted:

I’ve got the same problem from the above thread happening again since updating Discourse.

What’s happening is similar to what I said at the end of that thread.

A new user is created with all email options ticked by default (that’s my setting on my forum) and they do not receive emails as they should.

If you untick all of those settings, save it and then re-tick them again, it works.

I’m on v1.9.0.beta12 +5.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Ok so you are saying the global defaults for those user prefs are not taking effect?

@jomaxro can you test this on try?

(James North) #3

Correct - the global settings indicate that the are all selected in a new user account, but in practise they aren’t resulting in actual settings change.

Very similar to that linked thread in the OP.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

Sure. Adding to my list.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #5

Hmm, just tested this on try, and cannot reproduce this. I change the default user preference to email even when active. I created a new user, sent a PM to that user, and viewed the PM in the browser. I still received an email for the PM.

Edit: I also got an email for a topic I was mentioned in (after 10 minutes) despite being on the site and viewing the topic after the mention.

(James North) #6

PMs / mentions work fine - other notifications do not for me…

Are you propagating the settings from global and not manually?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #7

Specific steps I took:

1. Logged in to try.discourse.org as admin, username jomaxro.
  2. Navigated to /admin/site_settings/category/user_preferences and enabled default email always.
  3. Opened a new incognito window and navigated to try.
  4. Created new user account, jomaxro-test.
  5. Viewed but did not modify preferences, verified that email always was enabled.
  6. Returned to jomaxro user, PM’d jomaxro-test and mentioned jomaxro-test in a topic.
  7. Viewed notifications of PM and mention in jomaxro-test's account
  8. jomaxro-test received email for both the PM and the mention despite having viewed the PM/topic.

Edit: just saw your edit. So it’s quoting and reply-to that isn’t working? I’ll go test those too.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #8

Still cannot reproduce. I quoted and replied to my test user. I then looked at the topic as the test user, and still got the emails after 10 minutes.

Note: emails logs do not distinguish a quote from a direct reply. The second email there was caused by a quote.

(James North) #9

I’m finding that new topics in watched categories and replies aren’t getting emails until those are all un-ticked and ticked again.

I’ll list out my steps so that we’re on the same page as I’ve got a few extras with groups and permissions too.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #10

I’d very much appreciate that. It’s the end of my day here, so don’t rush too much. Earliest I’ll get to this again is tomorrow morning (EDT). I’ll keep this on my list.

(James North) #11

Not in a rush Josh - I’ll probably do it in a handful of hours.

Really appreciate you checking it out.