Embed Google Spreadsheet plugin

(David García-Navas) #1

Continuing the discussion from Can Google Maps be embedded into Topics?:

Two months ago, I post a topic asking for a developer to do some customizations on Discourse for my organization, Territorio creativo.

Thanks to Vairix, an organization specialized on Rails who have helped us with this, we can now share this customizations.

The second one, it’s simple a plugin that allows to embed a Google Spreadsheet in a post:

Screenshot:

Editing: An insert table option
(Sam Saffron) #2

Interesting, can this be integrated somehow into the onebox gem @riking / @techAPJ ?

Corporates would be really interested in this kind of stuff.

(David García-Navas) #3

I have to mention, as I’ve done in the Readme.md, that this plugin has a known issue:

• When you enter in a topic that contains a post with an embed Google Drive Spreadsheet, no matter where is that post, the view shows you automatically the first post unless that post with the embed is not charged in the DOM.

We tried to solve this, but the only way we’ve found is deleting an important script from the Spreadsheet, so it’s better with this issue, at least it’s usable.

(Chris Adams) #4

This is a fantastic addon. It would be great to see the option to post secured docs and put in a placeholder asking an unauthorized person to either sign in or ask for permissions from whomever created the doc. That would be my only suggestion for this. Other than that, it works like a charm, well done!

(Tobias Eigen) #5

I am interested - what are some good use cases for this? How are others using google spreadsheets embedded in discourse to add value to their forums/provide some valuable service?

(David García-Navas) #6

In our organization we invested on this feature because we use Discourse as an internal social platform and there are many times that we post a Spreadsheet in a post. Examples:

• Someone wants to do a meeting, lesson or somewhat that needs that people fills his name in a cell to indicate that he/she will goes.
  • There are some articles to buy and people have to fill the cell with what and how many articles want / Crowdfunding - how much money each person invest.
  • Data collection: we want to know a specific data variable on some accounts.

Before develope this embed, we didn’t know that it will have this issue:

But it’s not a big problem because we normally embed de spreadsheet in the first post.

(ginger man) #7

@DavidGNavas Is there a way to embed google forms in the post…That would be really useful in surveys and any data collection. Combination of embedding google spreadsheet with the google form will be super helpful.

(Thomas Purchas) #8

Hey @DavidGNavas. Wanna say fantastic plugin :smiley:

Could I also make a small feature request? Would it be possible to add an “open in new tab” button or similar so that people don’t have to be constrained to a small viewport.

(Sam Saffron) #9

I moved a post to a new topic: Google docs plugin

(Sam Saffron) #10

Try again, I needed to add you to plugin authors. Scratch that … moving it …

(Ismael Olea) #11

This plugin works for Google Docs too?

(David García-Navas) #12

Embed Google Docs, Google Spreadsheets and Calendar is now supported via the onebox gem, this plugin is no longer needed in order to work :slight_smile:

(I’ve not found a better topic to link)

Btw, Onebox is a cool feature if you can see more info: