Embedding Discourse in an app without custom header

I have my Discourse forums embedded in an iOS app. I have a custom header but I don’t want it visible when viewing in the app. I only want it visible when viewing in Safari. It is possible to do this?

(Руслан Корнев) #2

May I ask you? How did you integrated Discourse in iOS app?

It’s in a UIWebView and I’d like it to display without the header in there.

Well I got it working almost perfectly. I gave the header an ID and hide it using some javascript when the page loads. The only problem with this method is that the header still appears for a second before being hidden.

- (void)webViewDidFinishLoad:(UIWebView *)webView
{
	[webView stringByEvaluatingJavaScriptFromString:@"document.getElementById('my-navigation').style.display = 'none'"];
}

(Руслан Корнев) #5

I’am not an iOS developer, but i think you can achieve this by checking user_agent or screen resolution with Javascript or with CSS using css media by modifying discourse template through admin section.

Does anyone know if there is a way to trigger a different HTML/CSS header through a URL parameter? That would work fine since Discourse doesn’t need to reload the page. The only issue with my solution is that the header is visible for a second before hidden.

(Dean Taylor) #7

Actually the preview URL pretty much does what you are requesting, from /admin/customize/css_html:

http://example.com/?preview-style=dd6fxxxxx-357e-4f17-b710-690bbc2414bd

Try testing that out and see if it fits your needs.

Obviously you wouldn’t need to “Enable” it, just preview.

That seems to work perfect! It works fine without enabling.