Embedding Discourse into a facebook app

api

(Caue Rego) #1

Continuing the discussion from How would Discourse be a better community solution than an FB group?:

Also continuing the discussion from Who have same problem 'migrating people from Facebook to Discourse":

Plus also continuing the discussion from Why use Discourse over Linkedin, Google, or Facebook Groups?:

How about an embedded discourse into a Facebook app? Is it done? Could it be? I think it would be perfect! Although I know nothing about facebook apps…

From my experience, I’ve tried moving a few facebook groups into a discourse ready to take them. And people just don’t “move”!

I believe if it were an even simpler sign on process (such as folks are already used with facebook apps, plus it’s just 1 button accept) and if it looks like it’s within facebook, then people would start using it a lot more.

Does this make good sense?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

No idea, but Discourse doesn’t support embedding in that fashion – we disallow putting an entire Discourse in an <iframe>. You’d have to fork to try that.

(Caue Rego) #3

I take it you think it wouldn’t work. But that’s good to know. :slight_smile:

In any case, do you know which files or parts I’d need to change? Or have any more pointers?

(Kane York) #4

Wouldn’t that just be a matter of changing the Frame-Options header? Could do that in nginx.

(Sol) #5

Because of the way Discourse is structured (endless stream etc…), I think a facebook audience wouldn’t find it hard to adapt.

I run a really active 20k group that is dying for a new platform for more control and searchability but I don’t think they’d be committed enough to the idea so as to leave facebook to check a whole new separate site.

It wouldn’t even have to embed into facebook, using the fb notification system to alert them of new resposes and take them to the forum thread would be more than enough.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Email notifications would not suffice?

(Sol) #7

From what I experienced using another forum software it seemed that email notifications weren’t enough as most people check their facebook more times a day than they check their email. Same thing happened when I tried to implement Livefyre as an alternative to Disqus for commenting on my blog, Disqus using a live notification feature brought many more people back into the conversation than Livefyre did.

(Ionuț Staicu) #8

There are also FB groups of non-technical people that doesn’t check their emails that often (mostly because they don’t have any reason; they don’t expect any incoming mail).

This are the kind of users are those you won’t convert too easy. A notification system would help, but embedding into an iframe as a FB app? This would be crazy good!

(Caue Rego) #9

That’s a great idea in my book! It would still need to be done through an app, technically. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t go as far as to say “most people use more facebook than email”, that’s a very long stretch, but in some communities that’s sure true.

This is basically the same as the whole idea of using emails for notifications. Send notifications where we will read them!

In any of the two cases, it’s pretty clear to me it would have to start as a plugin.