Embedding polls in posts

(MilleniX) #1

Many existing forums have features that let users post a ‘poll’ at the start of a topic, to ask things like “what’s the best version of X?”, or “which of these sentiments describes how you feel about Y?”. Some offer both pick-one-of-N-answers questions and a multi-choice list of checkboxes. I’m sure there are other structures that might evolve in a more forward-looking discussion setting as well. At the very least, though Discourse should probably grow to include those. I don’t see any reason it should be limited to the initial post in a topic, but maybe others do.

(Lowell Heddings) #2

Discourse actually has that feature… it’s just not turned on for the launch, as the developers are working out a few kinks. I’m sure it’ll be enabled very soon.

(Sam Saffron) #3

Totally on the cards, we started working on a Poll plugin prior to launch. It was just a bit unfinished so we disabled it for now.

(MilleniX) #4

I feel so empowered. I request a feature, and the request travels back in time to be started before I asked! :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Yeah, we had a poll topic type, but had to pull it for launch as it’s kind of complex and we weren’t confident we were getting all the nuances of it right.

(Davidyang6us) #6

Multiple poll questions would be nice, some topics use polls as surveys to inform what the creator of the topic should do next. Eg: Game mod creator has a bunch of ideas for his mod, uses his mod topic as a survey instead of using surveymonkey or some other external survey site.

Polls take up lot of screen space though, and it annoys me when a poll shunts the man topic body down by several meters. Mebbe make them occupy the (mostly) blank space to the right of posts?

What is the most awesome plugin for Discourse, that does not yet exist?
(Kiran Patil) #7

:100: :+1: for poll topic

(Tattoo) #8

It has been a long time for this feature, do we have any progress on it?

I do think it is a necessary function for a forum and most of the moden forum systems have it.

Following is the poll function in the most popular forum system of China mainland – discuz! :

(Régis Hanol) #9

According to:

http://meta.discourse.org/t/what-is-the-eta-for-hosted-paid-plans/5403/2

Adding polls will definitively be there but it’s not the main priority right now.

(Anton) #10

And I was just going to request this feature.

btw: if you consider to embed some 3rd party poll services the best I have seen so far is typeform.com

(J. Bruni) #11

I’ve just received a request to answer a poll by email (!) and immediately wondered: “Does Discourse support polls? I haven’t seen one there yet.” As this comes from the public I will introduce to a Discourse-powered forum soon, I already “know” they will want to create their polls there…

So… any news about the progress? Any way one may contribute to it? Thanks.

(Juffin) #12

any update on this? community already asks for polls & stuff :smile:
i wonder if i should find a 3rd party plugin for this :slight_smile:

(H0rktik) #13

I’ve just stood up a Discourse server and I had one of my test users ask me plainly where the poll option was. Is there any movement on this yet? I’m guessing no, considering the backlog of posts that are identical to this one. What does the code still need? I’m a terrible programmer, but I might be able to take a swipe at it.

(Jeff Atwood) #14

As a workaround for now, you can:

1. Create a topic describing the poll
  2. Post one response for each poll “option”
  3. Have a moderator close the topic so nobody else can respond to it.
  4. Look at the number of :heart: likes on each poll option – the one with the most :heart: likes is the poll winner.

There is a fairly easy way to achieve a poll in Discourse at the moment, even if there is no formal support.

(H0rktik) #15

That’s a very good point. I think it may sort of subvert the reason for likes, and artificially inflate the popularity of a topic, not unlike liking every post in a topic to get your comment noticed. :blush: However, this will be my answer for now to my test users. Thanks, and keep up the fine work.

(Alexander) #16

Just occurred to me that a ranked-choice style poll would be neat to have too.

(Juffin) #17

Any update or ETA on polls? @codinghorror @sam
or where are you stuck, how can we help?

(Jack Slater) #18

Really hoping to see polls show up in Discourse soon…

(Rikki Tooley) #19

Agreed, also agree with @MilleniX’s idea of allowing any post to have a poll. No reason it should require a new thread imo.

(Wessel Van Der Veen) #20

No ETA on this? I’d like to use Discourse, but without polls I won’t be able to sell it as well to my community.