[en.topic_count.all] click to show

(Sam Saffron) #1

Something is not localized right, I seem to get “[en.topic_count.all] click to show” sometimes but I am no sure of the exact repro.

(instead of 1 new or updated topic blue notification)

Can anyone figure out a repro on try?

(Dave McClure) #2

I have seen this a couple times in the past few days too. Don’t know how to repro though.

(Adam Capriola) #3

I’ve seen it a couple times too (on 0.9.9.17):

I can’t seem to repro it on try. It is like the Mr. Macintosh of Discourse:

@sam, we’ve seen it over on our instance.

The repro seems to be if you go AFK for a while

(cpradio) #5

Same here, but I saw it here on Meta.

(Donal Fellows) #6

Yep, I see this a lot. Like, all the time when I come back from going out for lunch. It’s been there for a while; can’t help with when it started.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I think the repro has to do with scrolling down a long way in the topic list, coming back to the top (not reloading), and then having a new topic arrive.

Not sure though. We need a solid repro.

(Sam Saffron) #8

Lets see if this happens…

nope … no luck …

(cpradio) #9

I just had it happen again. I left my desk sitting on a topic. Then I clicked on the category of the topic (as I wanted to go to that Category’s latest page). A new topic had arrived, and because the latest page was likely cached, the “new topic” banner appeared, but without a translation, so I saw the translation key name instead of the actual translated text.

(Sam Saffron) #10

I have a theory, I think this is back button related … let me quickly test

HA CONFIRMED.

@eviltrout this is your bug then

Repro:

1. Go to front page
  2. Go to topic
  3. Hit back

In a second browser, reply to a topic and … kaboom

What is happening is that:

Discourse.TopicTrackingState.current().trackIncoming(list.filter) is not being triggered, because Discourse.TopicList.find is not being called.

(Robin Ward) #11

I’ve got a fix for it here:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/16c9f073b5f3d42ea9a2a993c63c742731f1e86e

Now, about the third strike for removing caching here. I agree this qualifies, and I started to remove all the code that caches the topic list. Unfortunately, I discovered it’s not so easily removed.

If we do not cache the topic list contents on back button, if you have scrolled to a second page, we cannot put you back at your scroll position. Hitting back can only refresh one page at a time, and it won’t have the topics at the 1+ screens you scrolled.

We will have to rethink how this works to get rid of list caching. In the interest of just getting it done I applied the tracking state to the cache and it works for now. But this is not an easy thing to remove.

(Sam Saffron) #12