Enabling Track External Right Clicks rewrites URLs

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #1

Hi, I don’t know if it is a bug on my newly installed forum or it is actually an ignored bug. When I activate “track external right clicks” from admin settings so that a click count may display next to external links on the forum just like it does on meta.discourse.org external links. Instead of clean URLS, my URLs are rewrited with ugly structure that makes no sense and surely effects SEO.

The URLs gets the following rewrited syntax when inspected from source file:

<a href="/clicks/track?url=http%3A%2F%2FGoogle.com&amp;post_id=113&amp;topic_id=62">Google.com</a>

However I don’t see such ugly URLs on meta.discourse.org. Is this a bug? How exactly can we enable the option to display click counts next to external URLs?

Redirect/rewrite all external links
(Jacob Chapel) #2

That setting is for tracking right clicks on links. That means someone right clicks and selects open in new tab or window. Normally that wouldn’t be tracked due to how browsers work but that setting allows you to.

First of all meta.discourse doesn’t use that setting.

Secondly you don’t need that setting to see the number of clicks but it won’t count right clicks due to the above unless you have that setting on.

Thirdly when it comes to SEO you generally don’t want external links sucking up your “SEO juice” which means the rewritten URLs won’t affect you. It would only affect SEO if you wanted to positively affect the site you’re linking to, in which case don’t enable the setting.

(Kane York) #3

This is working as designed. The fact that it’s ugly is exactly the reason it’s off by default. Feel free to turn it back off.

Also, I diagnose a severe case of Not Reading.

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #4

Hi @chapel
That was really helpful thank you for the info but I need slightly more details on how to enable the count display next to hyperlinks like its done in meta.discourse.org? Is it a custom developed code or what? Can we do the same on latest Discourse version?
At this time my links don’t display the count next to them

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #5

Thanks @riking That surely reconfirmed few doubts. I would like to know how exactly do you guys display count next to hyperlinks in meta.discourse.org?

(Kane York) #6

It’s there by default. You should not have to do anything.

(Mohammad Mustafa Ahmedzai) #7

I guess may be my forum is new and these count will display once it reaches atleast a count of 10 or more or clicked by different IP addresses. That’s what I assume

(yusf) #8

Can’t see my counters either. :frowning:

(david) #9

I have faced that issue.
is there any solution? I even not checked “track external right clicks”.