Enter link description here

(Mittineague) #1

I’ve been seeing this quite often and was wondering where it was coming from …
it’s from the Discourse editor !

I usually copy-paste links or type the MarkDown manually. So I was clueless that when the editor’s link icon is clicked

there is no input for the link text and creates

[enter link description here][1]

[1]: http://whatever.com

apparently not all members are observant enough to notice the “optional title” “enter link description here”.

Maybe change the modal to make the need more obvious?
Or if no “optional title” show the link URL as the link text?

(cpradio) #2

And we get this a lot, seriously, I can’t believe a technical forum, such as ours, gets this, but we do. So either people are oblivious, or just lazy. Not sure which yet :confused:

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Based on what I know from Stack Overflow… the only way to stop this is to check for the presence of

[enter link description here][1]

in a submitted post and block submission with a helpful error message when they try to post. :neutral_face:

Same rationale for detecting unformatted source code, and rejecting posts that contain unformatted code, which we eventually had to do. There’s no other way, IMO.

What if you had a separate text box for the description? If the user highlighted something, that gets put there. Otherwise, it’s empty and you make them put something in there before injecting the link into the post.

I’ve never noticed the “optional title” thing in that dialog. Seems like that would be more obvious as separate thing, too.