Error 500 when sending zero-length private messages

(David) #1

Action: hitting Reply on a private message.

FloatDomainError (NaN):
  lib/text_sentinel.rb:19:in `to_i'
  lib/text_sentinel.rb:19:in `body_sentinel'
  lib/validators/post_validator.rb:30:in `raw_quality'
  lib/validators/post_validator.rb:7:in `validate'
```
Happens when  

```` ruby 
SiteSetting.min_post_length == 0
```

Here is text_sentinel.rb: line 17
``` ruby

if opts[:private_message]
      scale_entropy = SiteSetting.min_private_message_post_length.to_f / SiteSetting.min_post_length.to_f
      entropy = (entropy * scale_entropy).to_i        #  exception

```

(Régis Hanol) #2

Why would you want min_post_length to be 0?

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Agreed, this is not a valid setting.

(Jacob) #4

<–Need to blankpost–>

(David) #5

It’s a valid point. We sometimes use our boards for some sort of near instant messaging, and we sometimes use empty posts to Acknowledgement of some sort.

Perhaps there could be a warning in the site administration dashboard when min_post_length is 0?

@illspirit: how exactly did you do that ?

(Charles-Pierre) #6

In my community, empty posts are allowed and they do convey a lot of meaning. It is sort of a private joke meaning “I won’t bother replying, but be sure that I did not miss your post”.

It is definitely something we do use on a daily basis and that is deeply engrained in the culture of the board, as stupid as it sounds.

(Jacob) #7

People on my site blank post as an inside joke as well, it’s not that uncommon.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Instead of replying with a meaningless empty post, click the like button on the post. That is the same as an individual confirmation.

Empty posts are not valid.

(Charles-Pierre) #9

I can’t speak for @masda70 and @illspirit, but on my board, likes and empty posts do not have the same meaning.
Especially, since likes is a measure of popularity (at least to us), we just can’t merge that with empty posts, because empty posts mean “you’re too stupid for me to answer”.

Question:
Is the official status of @masda70’s bug a WONTFIX?

If so, I hope you still acknowledge that on some boards blank posts are valid and are not frowned upon.

(Régis Hanol) #10

Well, then why even bother creating an empty post?

(Hrishikesh Thakre) #11

everything is fair in love and war :smile: and that question just started world war three :wink:

(Charles-Pierre) #12

Because sarcasm and disdain is definitely something users do all the time.
We’re a nice community but we like to poke each others sometimes. Anyway, as I said, it is a defining part of the community and if it is a WONTFIX I’ll have to find a way myself. I can’t imagine not allowing blank posts.

(Robin Ward) #13

I would say this is a WONTFIX. I’d be more than happy to help you make it a plugin though :smile:

(David) #14

@cpa: this is what we are looking for right?

(Sam Saffron) #15

The official state is this.

• There is a legit bug here. We should NEVER allow users to set site settings that break the forum. Instead we should pop up a window that says minimum must be 1 or more.

• This is an invalid use case and can cause severe sociological issues if enabled. Nonetheless, if you really really want it you may create a plugin that simply adds <!--boblablaw--> to any empty posts users attempt to post prior to submitting.

your mileage may vary, we may end up patching the <!--boblawblogs--> bug / feature

(Charles-Pierre) #16

Thanks for the clarification. @eviltrout thanks for helping out! Do you thinks that masda70’s mockup is doable through a plugin?

(Dan Porter) #17

I’m interested in the reason why a post can’t exist without content. Surely the bug lies with creating the post? Although a rare use case (as the guys above have just demonstrated) I don’t see how this is infeasible.

(Robin Ward) #18

Yup. The easier way would be just to accept posts with 0 content. I would do this by transforming it myself the way sam suggested.

The button is trickier and might require some API hooks from us but is totally doable.

(Jeff Atwood) #19