Error Log - Should it implement "Watched Words"? ;)

(Rob Meade) #1

…parental guidance advised…

(Mittineague) #2

You haven’t seen a lot of source file comments, have you? :wink:

(* note, I don’t mean Discourse files, I mean code files in general)

I agree that it would be nice to not risk sensitive eyes seeing anything offensive.

Two things: How much of a chance that anyone other than a mature developer will see the offensive error messages? Is it not important for a developer to see what’s involved with an error so they can troubleshoot regardless? eg. “undefined **** in ****** line 14” isn’t very helpful.

That said, you always have the options of asking the author to clean up the code, or uninstalling the code if you’re that concerned.

(Rob Meade) #3

You haven’t seen a lot of source file comments, have you? :wink:

You’d be surprised…

I raised this as I wasn’t sure whether this was something related to Discourse itself, and, if it is, I was a bit surprised.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

I can confirm that is not from any Discourse repository. Feel free to search the open source code yourself.

Also keep in mind, including code (or a code comment) like this would very likely go against our Code of Conduct

As for the original question, no, error logs should not implement watched words. It is generally necessary for developers/sysadmins to view the entire (unredacted) error. Error logs are not public, only site admins can see them.

(Rob Meade) #5

Hey Joshua,

Thanks for the reply.

The suggestion of the watch words was meant to be tongue in cheek. I didn’t know whether the error was relating to something Discourse based or not though, and was obviously a bit surprised with the language, thought it was unlikely to be related but thought I’d ask/raise it.

Thanks again for the reply. :slight_smile:

(Régis Hanol) #6

Of course since the error in the screenshot says that the function is from one of the Chrome extensions :wink: