Error response from daemon: Cannot start container [hash]: Cannot find child for /app

(Peter Murray) #1

I have a Discourse-via-Docker installation that has been working fine for several weeks. This morning I needed to restart it after our cloud server provider forcibly rebooted the machine to address the Xen hypervisor bug, but I’m now seeing a series of messages I’ve never seen before – both the one about the Docker installation not using aufs (at the top) and the “cannot start container” message at the bottom. I have tried launcher rebuild app and that had no effect. The suggestions in the “discourse-docker-installation-without-aufs” topic didn’t seem relevant.

$ sudo ./launcher start app
Your Docker installation is not using aufs, in the past we have had issues with it
If you are unable to bootstrap your image (or stop it) please report the issue at:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-docker-installation-without-aufs/15639
No cid found, creating a new container
Calculated ENV: -e LANG=en_US.UTF-8 -e RAILS_ENV=production -e UNICORN_WORKERS=3 -e UNICORN_SIDEKIQS=1 -e RUBY_GC_MALLOC_LIMIT=40000000 -e RUBY_HEAP_MIN_SLOTS=800000 -e DISCOURSE_DB_SOCKET=/var/run/postgresql -e DISCOURSE_DB_HOST= -e DISCOURSE_DB_PORT= -e HOME=/root -e DISCOURSE_DEVELOPER_EMAILS=[blah]-e DISCOURSE_HOSTNAME=[hostname] -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS=smtp.mandrillapp.com -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT=587 -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME=[mandrill_user] -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD=[mandrill_password]
292017c2dd1c6682d60ad62ebea15c40ccf55928841f263a5799a5b621aedef9
2014/10/02 07:48:46 Error response from daemon: Cannot start container 292017c2dd1c6682d60ad62ebea15c40ccf55928841f263a5799a5b621aedef9: Cannot find child for /app

Why does install hang on background saving?
(Peter Murray) #2

In the end, I had to force Docker to uninstall and reinstall, and on my Ubuntu box I had to go so far as to flush the apt caches to get it to work. So, roughly:

apt-get remove lxc-docker
apt-get autoremove
rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
apt-get update
apt-get install -y lxc-docker
cd /var/discourse/
./launcher rebuild app
./launcher start app

(Robin Ward) #3