Error sending emails

Hello all,

my discourse installation has been offline for 6 months. Now I reactivated the server, updated Ubuntu, Docker and Discourse and almost everything is running again - except sending emails :frowning: (The old mandrill settings used to work - I have to change them due to mandrills … you know)

The settings seem to be correct (although the setting DISCOURSE_SMTP_ENABLE_START_TLS: false seems to be ignored. the admin interface shows enable_starttls_auto = true)

production.log shows:

Started POST “/admin/email/test” for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx at 2016-04-30 08:54:23 +0000
Processing by Admin::EmailController#test as /
Parameters: {“email_address”=>"xxx@xxx.de"}
Sent mail to xxx@xxx.de (47.4ms)
Completed 422 Unprocessable Entity in 159ms (Views: 1.2ms | ActiveRecord: 0.0ms)

These are my settings:

DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS: my.smtp-server.net
DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT: 25
DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME: my@email-address.de
DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD: mypassword
DISCOURSE_SMTP_ENABLE_START_TLS: false

Where can I retrieve more information?

Thank you in advance,
Benninger

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

What mail service are you using? If it’s sparkpost and your discourse domain and mail domain don’t match (e.g., d.e.com when sparkpost expects just e.com), sparkpost will silently fail. (I’m pretty sure.)

I am using my own mailserver atm.

I installed Discourse new and tried to use sparkpost now and get

Sent mail to xxx@yyy.de (1523.1ms)
Job exception: 500 5.5.2 unrecognized command

My Server is forum.ad-astra-die-gild.de and my sparkpost sending domain is ad-astra-die-gilde.de
Is that right?

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

Then you could check your mail server logs to see if the problem is on your mail server.

Sparkpost requires that the domain name in your email and the domain name you told it natch exactly,so every your describe is wrong for sparkpost.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #5

no, we don’t know… and did you convert your mandrill account to a paid one?

No, that is exactly what I did not want to do.